PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Sand Grain for SSB

knockout
11/11/2008, 12:40 PM
I am setting up a new 215g and I want a shallow layer of heavy grain aragonite sand, I would like for once not have sand in the water column, any suggestions... I've looking at the samoa pink here http://www.reefsand.com/ Sand # 1, Gravel # 2 & 5
also need to be wrasse and goby friendly which I think rules Gravel # 5 out, not sure about Gravel # 2
the above is just for reference please add your type/brand/likes/dislikes

also how much sand will I need for a 1" layer, tank is 72*24
thanks.

Moonstream
11/11/2008, 12:51 PM
I used about 3 bags of small grain sand in my 75g to get a 3-4" sand bed (which I later made smaller, it is now about 1"), I would go for 2-3 bags of #1 and 2ish bags of #5.

knockout
11/11/2008, 10:50 PM
bump up

mg426
11/11/2008, 11:14 PM
I am re setting up my system in a couple of weeks. The sugar sized substrate has got to go. It blows around (in my system anyway) I am going to a larger grain size and shooting for a depth of about half an inch.

knockout
11/11/2008, 11:27 PM
what are you planing to use as the new substrate?

mg426
11/11/2008, 11:43 PM
I know what I want I just cant remember what its actually called. I see the bags in the LFS. Its aragonite I believe mabe (Special reef substrate grade) I use this in my regugium and its AOK there.
I would go bare bottom in the display but I just dont like the look of it. The LFS I visit has a coarser size in its display and that tank is a Prize to look at.

sdebol
11/12/2008, 12:37 PM
I know everyone seems to hate crushed coral but it seems like it would be suitable for this type of application. I'm in the process of redoing my rock and replacing my sand bed and I, too, just want a thin layer of substrate to cover the bare bottom. I have a small amount of cc all washed and ready to use but have held off so far because of all the negative posts I've read...

Steve

knockout
11/14/2008, 08:24 AM
I stopped by the LFS today, the #2 gravel from reefsand.com looks like might get the job done, any other suggestions

Chihuahua6
11/14/2008, 10:07 AM
I use a coarse sand I picked up at Petco. It's not as coarse as crushed coral and the grains are more uniform in size and rounded. I like that it doesn't have sharp edges. It's about 2-3 mm in size. I keep less than 1" in my 75 and 29 gal tanks. I vacuum it with water changes.

Here's a link. Please keep in mind the product I have does not resemble the picture so you might want to check it out in person if you have a local Petco.

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?FamilyID=7514&cm_sp=certona-_-2-_-7514

knockout
11/26/2008, 10:57 AM
went to LFS they have the reefsand gravel # 2 in one of their tanks... looks big enough to stay off the water column and small enough for the gobies to be able to move it around....