PDA

View Full Version : Going from calcium reactor to additives....

zanemoseley
11/11/2008, 02:07 PM
I may be crazy but I'm considering going from a reactor to powder/liquid additives. I've run a good quality reactor, quality media, quality CO2 regulator, quality PH monitor and a maxijet for the feed pump for 2-3 years now.

I've added a micro adjustable valve to control the feed pump after getting tired of not getting the feed rate right. I feel the clutter of equipement and constant monitoring and tweaking of the PH will never end. The fine aragonite media is a pain, it works fine at first but when it breaks down 20-30% I start to lose consistant control over the feed pump then its a downhill battle keeping the PH in the right spot till I change the media out which further aggrivates the feed control. Changing out the media is a pain with a all the hoses/tubes to disconnect while trying to not spill water in the process of taking it outside or in the basement. Then it sucks when a small peice of media gets the Eheim locked up and you have to take that apart.

So has anyone gone from a reactor back to additives. I used to use kalk which I probably wouldn't do again as I had problems with precipitation due to some of my levels being off. Dosing powder/liquid every other day when I feed my fish sounds reasonable even if it will cost a bit more per year however selling my reactor will easily pay for 2-3+ years of additives if I had to guess.

I'd prefer to not name the brand of my reactor as I feel the design and construction is as good or better than any other units on the market and don't wish to put any bad mojo on the brand due to my small frustrations with it over time. I might also add that my lack of time to play with my tank over the last 1-2 years due to a new baby and building a house don't help anything.

So has anyone made this "backwards" transition with their tank?

zanemoseley
11/11/2008, 06:41 PM
So either I'm crazy or no one wants to tell me ?

reefmutts
11/11/2008, 06:57 PM
Having a 75 gallon myself with coral,

I had a Kalk reactor as well and I had problems with this as well.
I was pondering over the idea of getting a reactor myself. After reading up on all the maintenance and tweekingI decided to drop the idea.

Been using the two part additive for about 2 years now and have been very happy, no problems. It might cost a few bucks more a year, but for a 75 gallon tank it's not worh the hassle IMO. If I had a bigger tank with sps, then I would seriuosly consider it....

Your not crazy for thinking this way, we are just crazy about our tanks.....LOL

mg426
11/11/2008, 07:01 PM
I say whatever works for you!!

zanemoseley
11/11/2008, 07:46 PM
Well I've got plenty of SPS in my tank but the major hogs are some monti caps that grow like weeds. The acros I have grow pretty slow, they'd probably do better if I could keep up with the tank better. To be honest my tank is grown up enough where I don't want the SPS to have crazy growth.

trippkid
11/11/2008, 08:03 PM
You name the reactor in your signature, LOL. I have a Geo too and think it works pretty well and very well built(It was given to me by a friend), I just started using it about a month ago, but I too have been considering going back to Two-part, I just feel I have more control with that and don't have to worry about Alk spikes or dropping too low if I have to shut it off for a few days(while tweaking it to find the sweet spot). I don't think you are crazy or backwards, like said whatever you think is going to make it easier on you, do it, it is your tank. I'll keep playing with my reactor for awhile, but my two-part is always ready to go if I change my mind. Good luck.
Matt

zanemoseley
11/11/2008, 08:14 PM
Well I guess the cat is out of the bag lol, I haven't revised the tag in probably 2-3 years. It seriously is a well built unit and I believe the frustrations I have with the unit are common among most if not all the units. I may try the 2 part route for several month or even a year before I decide to sell the reactor.

Reefjunkee
11/11/2008, 08:18 PM
I would no revert back to 2 part unless I had an automatic way to dispense it.My reactor is basically on autopilot once I got it tweeked which was pretty simple.I HATED adding the 2 part before I got My first reactor,often forgetting to do it.Plus the fact of cost.Unless You buy it bulk it can get quite costly over time.Good luck either way.