PDA

View Full Version : :( accident with flourescent lamp

snake
11/11/2008, 05:36 PM
Hello all, i just came from work and realized that one of my flourescent actinic lamp was broken, the two broken ends were under the water so whatever kind of substance that are in this lamps I believe it was droped into the tank.
I believe is mercury :(

So what should I spect? will all my corals die, and so my fish?

I placed active carbon and I'm thinking on doing big water changes but will this help?
I mean being a metal it should have been like powder and by this time mixed with the sand.

right now I see a colt and a pavona kind of retracted

Don't know what to do

Runfrumu
11/11/2008, 06:01 PM
I'd do some some water changes for sure. I think fluorescent tubes have mercury gas and argon in them, which probably escaped into the air when the tubes broke. The Phosphor powder would still concern me though.

glenns
11/11/2008, 06:02 PM
Remove all the glass. Hopefully the carbon will be enough to remove any contaminants. I broke a T5 tube a few years ago. There appear to have been no side effects. Be careful when cleaning up, because there is a tiny amount of mercury in all fluorescent bulbs.

billdogg
11/11/2008, 06:03 PM
carbon, polyfilter, water changes - that should take care of it for ya. watch for broken glass in the sand!!!

redfishsc
11/11/2008, 06:29 PM
Check your phosphates over the next week or so. If the phospors in the lamp were a type that could be used as a phosphate source, you may have trouble (not looming death but still not good).

Glad to see there was no other obvious damage done.

snake
11/12/2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks so much for your responses I will continue changing carbon and doing water changes until I don't see any sign of stress in my tank