PDA

View Full Version : Adding another ocellaris clown to an existing one.

$eaba$$
11/11/2008, 08:17 PM
Hi guys,

So, at a LFS, I found a perfect small clownfish. In my 20 gallon right now, I already have an oceallaris clown, and it is about 2" in length, and has been in my tank as the only clown for many months now, so I assume it to be a female. I am going to add a small clown to the tank, to try and get them to pair up. At my LFS there is a small clown just under an inch, about half the size of my existing clown. At this size, a little under an inch, is it almost for sure a male still? I know that it is a risk for the smaller clown, and an even bigger one since it is so much smaller, but it is one I am willing to take to get them to pair up. If worst comes to worst, I will take out the smaller clown and give it to my LFS. How risky do you guys think this is, and is it almost sur e that the small clown is male?

Thanks!

RyDoggsReef
11/11/2008, 08:32 PM
DO IT BRO, GO NOW!

RyDoggsReef
11/11/2008, 08:44 PM
dooooo it homie, 1 more min

RyDoggsReef
11/11/2008, 08:58 PM
<i><

$eaba$$
11/11/2008, 09:58 PM
Well I went along and did it. I acclimated the fish for around 35 mns or so. The clown that I already had is about 2 inches and pretty tall, and the new one that I put in is around 1.5 inches, or maybe a tiny bit smaller. So, I put the clown in the tank finally. The chasing starts and the bigger clownfish, right as it came from the bag, took hold of the other clowns "tail" and let go after a second about, just a bit of a scratched fin. For about 20 minutes the bigger one chased the smaller one around, but didn't seem to actually "touch" the smaller clown, just mostly chased it. Now it's been almost 30 mns, and it seems it is already much better. Now, there isn't much chasing going along, but the clownfish do this weird dance every so often, where there next to each other, and sort of twitch. So far, everything seems to be going alright.

$eaba$$
11/12/2008, 06:31 PM
well, I have an update. The smaller clown has been in the tank for 1 day now, and things are looking great. I watched them at night with my moon lights, and they slept very close to each other, at the surface of the water. The farthest apart that I saw them get from each other at night was probably not more than 5 inches or so. Now, the clowns are just chilling, swimming pretty near each other, and at times, very near each other, and are not bothering one another at all. So far, so good!!

Thanks! even though it seems no one is reading this post....

$eaba$$
11/14/2008, 10:07 AM
Now, after 2 and a half days, everything is still going great. There is no more aggression what so ever, and at night, the two sleep right next to each other. During the day, they swim near each other usually. Do you think they are pairing up?

Thanks!

$eaba$$
11/14/2008, 11:59 AM
why has no one answered this thread? jw...

knockout
11/14/2008, 12:06 PM
I think you're doing a great job of keeping us informed and really no issues thus far!!!! I am planing to do the same with a gold maroon I have, keep the updates coming!!!!

$eaba$$
11/14/2008, 02:09 PM
yep. i will.

FranktheTankTx
11/14/2008, 08:51 PM
Good luck with the Gold Maroon - my guess is you won't be so lucky.

knockout
11/26/2008, 09:54 AM
so how is it going!

almees
11/26/2008, 10:47 AM
I had a maroon man they are mean. traded him in a while ago.

I recently added a second oceallaris clown as like yourse mine are getting along great. I ended up getting one that was 2 in and my origianl was 1.5 , but its been a week and they get along like best friends.

Now if my chromis would leave the little one alone.

Boyman
11/26/2008, 10:49 AM
Sounds like you had luck on your side! When I tried to pair up my clowns (after one died) I went through 2 clowns before she decided on a suitable match. The other two clowns didn't last a night :(

FatBaldingJerk
11/26/2008, 11:10 AM
They are not done yet.

The big one is going to continue chasing the small one until the small one matures and actually becomes "male."

In that time, I would suggest making sure that there is some kind of barrier (eggcrate, full hood, etc.) to keep the smaller one from making an evasive maneuver out of the tank.

My favorite Ocellaris, Billy Ocean, just died earlier this week this same way. His lover, Caribbean Queen, was just a little too rough on him I suppose.

mille239
11/26/2008, 12:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13822623#post13822623 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FatBaldingJerk

My favorite Ocellaris, Billy Ocean, just died earlier this week this same way. His lover, Caribbean Queen, was just a little too rough on him I suppose.

That's awesome. :lol: (the names... not the dying part)

catfisher
11/26/2008, 12:38 PM
It took me awhile to pair up my clowns. I have False Percs as well. I tried introducing 3 or 4 before one finally paired up with the original False Perc. The others chose to go carpet surfing :( They have been paired up for about 6 months now and doing great. They both host my Wellso brain at night.

CompNrdCR
11/26/2008, 02:10 PM
I love it when they do their little mate dance...