PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiker Coral

cmpenney
11/12/2008, 07:26 AM
Got this on a small 2lb piece of LR a while back. It was only 2 polyps when I brought it home. As you can see it has been doing pretty well. It is hard and has small clear tentacles that can't be made out very well that stick out from the center of each polyp.

Anyone have an idea what it is?

http://www.masm.org/mforums/upfiles.aspx/1/07889B40C7D04F31BC4EA72C20E67CAA.JPG

SoundsFishy2me2
11/14/2008, 02:34 AM
Looks to be a coral found only in Florida (gulf of mexico) waters, my guess is you bought some Florida live rock based on the coral :) As I recall it's very hardy and does not need a lot of light. I tried to find a link and pic but was unable.

cmpenney
11/14/2008, 07:15 AM
It's very possible that it's Florida Aquacultured rock. It was expensive stuff and had lot's of other life on it. Almost all the other LR in my tank was DIY Rock so it's easier to spring for the really pricey stuff you your only getting 4lbs just to seed the tank.

nivenethan
11/21/2008, 11:11 PM
I have a whole 5 groups of these identical in color and shape to yours in the picture and they are growing nicely. Had them on my live rock that I set up about 8 months ago. My rock is Florida rock from Tamba Bay Saltwater.....the dude who leases bottom ground and seeds with rock which he later harvests and ships to you the next day with no curing needed. It was a way cool experience getting all this live rock with sponges, critters, corals, etc....all alive and attached..........it was expensive though but well worth it.

cmpenney
11/22/2008, 04:11 PM
Mine came from an LFS and I paid $12.99/lb for it..Most of my LR is man made so I could afford the really pricey stuff to seed it.

keith1ocean
11/25/2008, 11:44 AM
Looks like either a small Solenastrea hyades, Solenastrea bournoni, or a very small Cladocora arbuscula which has not yet started to branch out. All somewhat common on the west Florida shelf.

cmpenney
11/25/2008, 01:59 PM
The Cladocora arbuscula looks very close. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if it branches.