PDA

View Full Version : Overflow Help!

chetscc
11/12/2008, 07:34 AM
OK I thought I had this down but now I am confused as all can be.

I am trying to implement the "Silent and Failsafe Overflow System" modified by Beananimal.

Here is my current setup. I have two overflow boxes in my tank. They both have 9.25" of overflow space, for a total of 18.5" of overflow. Inside of each overflow box is two one inch bulkheads for a total of 4 bulkheads.

I am utilizing a MAG18 for my return with 4' of head which should produce approx. 1350 gph.

Will the following concept work? One of my concerns among others is if the left overflow box by itself can be up with the return pump.

http://www.chetscc.com/images/tank/siphon.gif

GlassReef
11/12/2008, 07:52 AM
I don't see a problem. If your tank is level, and one must assume it is, it should function perfectly.

chetscc
11/12/2008, 09:28 AM
GlassReef

Thanks! I will go ahead and install my plumbing then and give a try.

chetscc
11/24/2008, 09:47 PM
Not sure how to tune this thing. I have the failsafe and quiet overflow installed based on BeanAnimals documentation, but I can not seem to get it to be quiet.

I also checked for air leaks, but I do not think there are any.

The noise I hear is the water running through the siphon overflow pipe into the sump.

Any thoughts?

chetscc
11/25/2008, 01:43 PM
Anyone?

justilorah
11/25/2008, 01:46 PM
do you have a ball valve on your return?

if so try throttling back your return a little that will help..

chetscc
11/25/2008, 02:13 PM
justilorah
Thanks for the input.
Yeah, I have a ball valve on the return and throttled it down. This allows cuts out any gurgling or flushing sounds. However I can still hear the water running though the overflow pipes. I was my understanding that this was a “dead silent” design. It probably still is but I can not get it dialed in 100% of the way.

justilorah
11/25/2008, 02:22 PM
do you have your stand pipes vented?