PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 9010 recommendation

mike33
11/12/2008, 10:15 AM
I am thinking about purchasing a Tunze 9010 for a 72 gallon with 20 gallon sump (LPS,softies, fish and future SPS). Any recommendations on this skimmer as it seems small in comparison to the competition. I do not have much room in the sump. Would love to hear from people who have had experience with this skimmer. Thanks

rvitko
11/12/2008, 11:25 AM
I am never sure what to do in these cases, you probably want answers from unbiased users but I also don't want you to feel ignored.

The 9010 is the right size skimmer for your application, if you wanted a more powerful skimmer and aren't in a hurry the 9410 should be out soon, it is a slightly larger skimmer that uses a needle wheel pump. The skimmers are compact but when properly installed they tend to do as good a job as much larger units. One thing that research of skimmer designs has shown is that taller is not always better. Proteins and many organic molecules have a charge this charge draws them to be attracted to small bubbles, actually to the interface of bubbles and water. With excessive contact time the molecules pass off from bubble to bubble and may even break free completely, a slow gentle bubble rise, small bubbles and a short wide chamber has generally been proven to be the best.