PDA

View Full Version : can i turn canister filter into a phosphate reactor?

Aj Flip
11/12/2008, 03:07 PM
hi ive got an ehiem canister laying around and want to put it to use, just wondering if i can turn it into a phosphate reactor and how

im probably guessing i would have to turn the flow down too with a valve

also, can i run carbon together with the phosphate media

btw it has a capacity of about 2L

jmarko
11/12/2008, 08:53 PM
you could use the ehiem with a valve to slow it up for Phosban I dont see an issue with that. You can also mix carbon but I wouldn't cause the phosban will last longer then the carbon. maybe put the carbon on top in a separate micron bag so it could be changed without dumping the phosban.

bhdmc
11/13/2008, 12:58 PM
I have used in the past Ehiem canister filter as a reactor for carbon, PO4 media, NO3 media, etc, but not mixed together. Different media requires different flow rate to be effective. I currently run two different reactor off of one pump. One for carbon and one for PO4 media. A Y-tee split the flow to the two reactors. In between the Y-tee and reactor I have a flow valve to control the flow to each reactor as per company direction. Also, as per jmarko, different media will be exhausted at different times.

pjf
11/13/2008, 11:15 PM
Randy Holmes-Farley uses a Magnum 350 canister filter with mostly GAC and smaller amounts of GFO mixed together:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=8398497&highlight=canister#post8398497

Creetin
11/14/2008, 04:50 AM
I used one for years, It worked great!! Just keep it clean of detritus and keep all media in socks. I gotten better results with a cannister forcing water thru media than suspending it with a media reactor. IMO The only downside is having the input and output in the tank.