PDA

View Full Version : light fixture question

kaiboshi
11/12/2008, 04:06 PM
So I'm upgrading my current fowlr system from a 75 to a 125. I'm going to leave the lighting on my 75 and get new lighting for my 125. It's fowlr so it's more for looks than anything else. I was going to try t5's this time (was using pc) so I started looking at fixtures and was able to find some nova extreme x2 36" fixtures for pretty cheap ($60 ea). I was going to buy a pair of these fixtures and use a pair of giesemann actinic+ and a pair of giesemann aqua blue+ (I'm looking for a calming kind of deep sea look that won't blind my lions).

Upon doing a little research I notice that they tell you never to #1 mount these fixtures over an uncovered tank (even though they have splashguards) and #2 never mount these in a canopy. What I want to know is WHY? I assume the heat would be an issue in the canopy but is it really impossible to ventillate well enough? Assumption #2 is that the endcaps suck and any salt creep would ruin them. Those are the only things that I can think of that would cause them to write those kind of warning things. I'd just like some confirmation from you guys on my thoughts or any kind of experience.

bonus points if you can point me in the right direction to see the bulbs I mentioned in tandem =]

aquajunkie
11/12/2008, 04:41 PM
congrats on ur upgrade!

fu*ked if i know bout ur light situation tho :|

dwilly
11/12/2008, 05:11 PM
I have a small fixture, the Nova Extreme 2 x 20 T5 over a 10 gl and it says the same thing. I don't cover the tank, but I did bend the legs so that the fixture is about 4" above the water. I've had it set up for almost 1 yr now and no problems. (I have the Tek 6 x 54 w/ no splash guard over my uncovered 75 and it works fine, too.)