PDA

View Full Version : Sailfin tang aggressive towards reflection

46FiatYamaha
11/12/2008, 04:08 PM
I have a 4" sailfin for about three weeks now, and he seems really bothered by his reflection, constantly using his tail for 'defense'. He did this rarely when I got him and now it's getting more common, and I would like to know if there is anything I could do about it. The only reason I even mention this is that tangs get ich easily and I don't want him stressed over something that isn't there. Will he grow out of this as he gets older? Any input appreciated.

aquajunkie
11/12/2008, 04:34 PM
your tang will not get ich ever if ich is not present in the tank

46FiatYamaha
11/12/2008, 04:53 PM
I don't want him stressed if I can do something about it, no matter if it's ich or anything else

boilermaker1
11/12/2008, 05:17 PM
I have a hippo who liked to stare himself down in the glass. Always did it in the same place, so I taped a piece of paper over the glass and he stopped.

46FiatYamaha
11/12/2008, 05:47 PM
sounds like a good idea boilermaker1. I put an ordinary table lamp beside the tank and it seems to dim out the reflection from the inside. If this doesn't work I'll try the paper

agreeive?fish
11/12/2008, 07:14 PM
Typical tang behavior.. will he eventually stop it ??? its hard to say it depends on the individal fish...

MattL
11/12/2008, 08:53 PM
A lot of tangs do this, and they will eventually stop.

Let algae build up on the glass. Or, use a cloth to cover the tank. I've covered tanks with blankets to help them settle in.

A 46 is way, way too small, even for a dailfin that's only 4", and that can be causing the stress. This sailfin tang will outgrow your 120 is short order as well, even if you transfer soon. You do know that these tangs can get to 40cm in length (just under 16")?

Your tang will not contract Ich if you have no Ich in your system by practicing quarantine. But if he is stressed and Ich is present, his chances of contracting Ich are much higher.

Matt:cool:

snorvich
11/12/2008, 09:13 PM
+1 with the above from MattL. You need a tank that is a minimum of six feet long and preferably longer.

46FiatYamaha
11/13/2008, 04:52 AM
Thanks mattl and snorvich for relieving me on something that hasn't been said a million times over in here. I'm glad everybody can look at the few little words on the bottom of my response and know my lifes intentions on keeping fish. Is it really worth arguing about a foot or two of tank space when all fish have no boundaries in there natural habitat. All but the absolute largest of our tanks are still smaller than any tangs natural territory. It's like saying you can't keep a dog on a 15' chain, but 17' would be fine.

MattL
11/13/2008, 09:13 AM
Your tank is too small.
And no surprise, you're the one having stress problems.

The adult thing to do is realize you made a mistake, be a man about it, and deal with the fish appropriately, not bicker back at the people who are trying to solve your (not my) problems.

Either find a new home for it or buy the tank that the fish needs.

Matt:cool:

46FiatYamaha
11/13/2008, 08:10 PM
well, maybe I'll get rid of him and put my indian ocean sweetfish in the 120. He only gets about three feet long, the tank is six, so no problem