PDA

View Full Version : Scribbled Angel with Flukes

bstone
11/12/2008, 06:22 PM
I got a Male Scribbled Angelfish on Friday. I put it in my sump. Noticed it had one cloudy eye today. So, I fresh water dipped it today (Wednesday), and about a dozen flukes came off of it.

So, are my other fish in main tank in jeopardy of getting it now? I have quit a few angels in the main tank. The sump I was housing him in is connected to the main tank.

Also, how do I know if I caught it early enough? If no signs of Flukes after a few days am I good?

Thanks!

JHemdal
11/13/2008, 07:05 AM
bstone,

Were the flukes that fell off large (>1mm), flat, cloudy/white ovals? If so, that is probably Neobenedenia that were are discussing on the adjacent "eye fluke" thread. If the angel is still in the sump and if the sump has a direct connection to the main tank (i.e. no filtration in-between) you can be virtually guaranteed that the Neobenedenia has spread to the main tank. If the flukes that you saw were smaller, you MAY have lucked out in that they may not have reached the egg producing stage yet - Like if the scribbled picked up its infection at the last dealer that housed it, so all the flukes on it were young. On the other hand, if the angel picked up the flukes earlier in the supply chain (say at the exporter) the flukes may already be adults and then you have to deal with the eggs. If your tank and its inhabitatants are compatible (i.e. FOWLR or FO) you are probably looking at a praziquantel treatment. The good thing about Neobenedenia is that it isn't fatal if treated promptly, it takes awhile to become lethal, so you have at least a week to gear up for this.

Jay

bstone
11/13/2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the replay. They were definitly smaller then 1mm, and there were only about a dozen or so. Like you said, hopefully I caught it early enough.

thanks!