PDA

View Full Version : Please help with Ca and Kalk reactors

EMV7904
11/12/2008, 06:25 PM
I posted something similar in the equipment forum but haven't even gotten many views.

Can anyone show me pics of how they have their Geo Kalk reactors and MRC CR2 calcium reactors set up?

How do you feed the Kalk reactor? I have it all set up with the parts that came with it but am kind of confused on this. It did NOT come with a feed pump. Probably should have I would imagine. Either way, I need to know what to use as a feed pump.

And I need to see how to hook up the CO2 regulator to the reactor itself. What material or type of tubing can I use? Neoprene? If so, where do I find that stuff?

crvz
11/12/2008, 06:32 PM
Do you have a auto top off? I think the kalkwasser reactor is best used in line with the ATO (at least that's how I've had mine set up for a number of years).

You can get CO2 safe tubing at marinedepot.com, that's the only place I've shopped for it.

EMV7904
11/12/2008, 06:34 PM
Thank you crvz for the quick response. I have no credit cards (thank god) and therefore shop locally. I will either go to Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart or LFS's for whatever I need. Any ideas? Since CO2 will be traveling through this tubing, does it need to be special tubing?

EMV7904
11/12/2008, 06:37 PM
And yes I have a Tunze Osmolator but do not have it set up at the moment. I do not have a resevoir yet for fresh RO water near the tank. So can I not use the Kalk reactor yet until I have the ATO hooked up? In other words does the Geo Kalk reactor HAVE TO be used with ATO? And what is the feed pump on this unit?

EMV7904
11/13/2008, 12:47 PM
?

crvz
11/13/2008, 01:07 PM
Yes, you do need special tubing for running CO2. It will corrode regular vinyl tubing I believe. If you have a bank account, you can setup a paypal account to pay for stuff at marinedepot and other merchants. I've done this in the past, and it's pretty safe to do.

I'm not sure if it HAS to be used with an auto top off, but usually you mix kalkwasser with RO water and you don't flow tank water through them. I'm not particularly familiar with that model, so maybe someone else has better advice, but I'd assume you need an ATO to use the reactor.

LobsterOfJustice
11/13/2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah, kalk reactors should be used with the ATO... your top off water goes through the reactor. It will mess with the chemistry of seawater and will not give the desired result pumping tank water through it. Calcium reactor on the other hand is meant to be used this way.

LOTUS50GOD
11/13/2008, 01:51 PM
i think putting it on his ATO is dependant on how much he evaporates. On my 340, I go through about 4 gallons a day. That would be way too much kalk even for 400 gallons total volume.

I have mine on a PH controller, If PH is over 8.2 it doses freshwater, below kalk.

EMV7904
11/13/2008, 05:46 PM
I don't know why, but on my 180 I evaporate quite a bit a day. At least a few gallons. I'd say 3 or 4 a day. (at least)

Is this due to TONS of water movement, metal halides etc? What makes some tanks evaporate more than others?

So basically I'll need an RO storage container, a controller and put the osmolator in use before I can use the kalk reactor...cus I think 3 or 4 gallons a day of kalk sounds like a lot.