PDA

View Full Version : Vortech Pump Question: Can backside get wet?

Brad Villeggiante
11/12/2008, 11:21 PM
Hello,

Can the backside of a vortech pump (the side not submerged) get wet? I ask because I'm wondering if it is possible to put a vortech pump on an overflow, therefore getting the back of the pump wet as water spills over it?

luvreefs23
11/12/2008, 11:29 PM
yeah if u wanna electrical fire. Says in manual to even keep motor (backside) away from splash zones

Brad Villeggiante
11/12/2008, 11:30 PM
ok good to know. I haven't purchased them yet so I can't see the manual. Thanks for answering my question.

luvreefs23
11/12/2008, 11:40 PM
sure, they are nice pumps tho. Ive had the mp20s and 40s

PaulieWalnuts
11/12/2008, 11:47 PM
that would be cool if they had a model like that....give them time lol who knows...i have one and i love it!! best price for a powerful powerhead and controller imo

ludnix
11/13/2008, 02:16 AM
It would kind of defeat it's purpose of keeping the heat out of the tank if you did end up putting it there. I think I saw a thread where someone built a tank that would allow for a vortec to be placed on their overflows by building a chamber for the dry side of the vortec inside the overflows.

tkeracer619
11/13/2008, 10:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13736762#post13736762 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ludnix
I think I saw a thread where someone built a tank that would allow for a vortec to be placed on their overflows by building a chamber for the dry side of the vortec inside the overflows.

He set up dry boxes on the end of the tank on both sides of the overflow. Amazing set up. Here is a vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh6Cz_H8Uhg&fmt=18

enjoy

reefkoi
11/13/2008, 10:24 AM
Yeah those dry boxes are cool, if I build another tank someday I'll have a couple dry boxes incorporated into the overflow just for vortechs.......just incase.
I've spoke with the vortech guys about this and they say thats the only safe way to do it, I mentioned putting the dry side in a thick plastic bag then in the overflow and they just rolled their eyes and looked at me like I was nuts LOL

widmer
11/13/2008, 12:05 PM
I think the main problem of a submersible motor part, is that even if it were possible, it would transfer a lot of heat into the water.

PaulieWalnuts
11/13/2008, 02:36 PM
the heat would also built up a lot in those boxes or in a bag lol...i think one reason we all like them is the heat goes out of the tank...i know i do....i don't have a chiller--maybe soon!!