PDA

View Full Version : All Ranco Controller Users

rick s
11/13/2008, 08:13 AM
Hello All,

I have been looking into the Ranco Controllers for the first time. I learned something that I haven’t seen mentioned in all the Ranco threads that I’ve read so I thought I’d pass it along.

The bare temperature probe cannot be submersed in water. It must have a protective sleeve installed over it. If the bare probe is submersed; over time, water may work its way inside it, which will change the resistive qualities of it. What does that mean to you, the user? That means the displayed reading will start to drift. In-other-words, the displayed reading will be different than the actual water temperature.

If you purchased your Ranco Controller from an aquarium supply retailer, you are probably fine as it should have the protective sleeve already installed.

However, if you purchased your controller from somewhere else (such as an HVAC equipment supplier) the probe will not have the sleeve installed (unless you knew to ask for it).

Here is the sleeve:
http://www.rancoetc.com/thermal-well-aquariums-clear-heat-shrink-tubing-p-150.html?osCsid=db4dd34547f9b5733f57c673e82e7da6

Runfrumu
11/13/2008, 08:51 AM
mine came with my chiller, it has black heat shrink, feels sorta like a drinking straw, on about 6 feet of the end of the probe.

Would that be considered bare or is that the cover?

rick s
11/13/2008, 09:14 AM
That is the cover. I have seen clear and black used.
As you mentioned, it is heat shrink, and the end must be pinched closed.