PDA

View Full Version : hole diameter advice

S_Stoney_S
11/13/2008, 09:11 AM
Hi Guys,

Just about to order my new tank to be made up. Its going to be 72"x24"x24" so roughly 131G when filled.

I'm planning on having two over flows drilled in the center 1/3 of the back pane of the tank. So it can drain though a hole in the wall to the sump (75G) in the garage.

Does any one have any recomendations on the size of hole to go for/ pipe diameters? I was thinking 2" would be a reasonable size, or is this a bit OTT.

Secondly i'm thinking of installing a closed loop below this in order to increase circulation in the DT without lots of ugly powerheads. Would 1" piping/holes be sufficient for this?

Thanks in advance.

LobsterOfJustice
11/13/2008, 10:42 AM
Make the drains as big as you want... 2" sounds great. 1" would be sufficient for the output of the CL but depending on the pump you are going to want larger hole(s) for the input.

Also, remember that the pipe size is not the hole size. A 1" bulkhead needs something like a 1 1/2" hole (depends on the bulkhead).

crvz
11/13/2008, 12:59 PM
LoJ makes a good point, make sure you're considering bulkhead size when drilling the holes. You're numbers sound about good, but the 2" drain for the overflows is on the larger side. If you have 2 holes, 1" or 1.5" may be plenty.