PDA

View Full Version : white fuzzy spots

Evansbr
11/13/2008, 11:57 AM
Hi Everyone,
Need Ideas on a female maroon clown. has fuzzy circular spots. about half the size of a pencil eraser.. seems to come and go. she is in a system where no new fish have been added for about 9 months. she is now in QT using melafix.. fungal? she has been in QT for a couple of weeks. seems to get worse around stressors like water changes to the QT tank..

kevin2000
11/13/2008, 05:04 PM
A picture would help a lot.

Clownfish are prone to brooklynella (aka clownfish disease) - this disease often is associated with generating excess white mucus on the fish - don't have a clue whether that fits your "fuzzy" description.

Fuzzy is also associated with fungal issues ... but to be frank fungal issues are pretty rare in SW.

Evansbr
11/13/2008, 06:05 PM
gonna try and get a good picture tonight... does brook clear up and then come back? plus its been a couple of weeks in QT.. would they last that long with Brook?

Evansbr
11/13/2008, 07:20 PM
hey kevin2000 do you go to the pnwmas meetings? If so I've probably met you.. so looking at her tonight, 1) realized that cellphone cameras are worthless in this application. and 2) I agree more with you that it isn't fungal. spots are pretty big, and the body has a velvety apperance. parasite. doesn't copper sterilize the fish, she is from a breeding pair. no other fish sick.

kevin2000
11/13/2008, 07:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13741528#post13741528 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Evansbr
hey kevin2000 do you go to the pnwmas meetings? If so I've probably met you.. so looking at her tonight, 1) realized that cellphone cameras are worthless in this application. and 2) I agree more with you that it isn't fungal. spots are pretty big, and the body has a velvety apperance. parasite. doesn't copper sterilize the fish, she is from a breeding pair. no other fish sick.

Sunday is made for "golf" - not reefing. Unfortunately PNWMAS isn't willing to consider changing their meeting days (even once in a while) and I am unwilling to change my standing golf date.

dismalorb
11/18/2008, 03:25 PM
Hey fellow PNWMAS members! :)

I'm having similar problems with my 2 Ocellaris, on top of ich problems with my tangs.

If you find out a cure, let me know as well. I was HOPING a good anemone bath for the clowns would help, but for the tangs I don't know what to do.

Do your clowns have an anemone to host in?

Evansbr
11/18/2008, 07:09 PM
no anenome, they are breeders in my setup so they get flowerpots. :D I have been treating with melafix and primafix. she is looking alot better after 4 days. haven't given anything for parasites and she is doing good. are yours in a fish only or a reef? that will make a BIG difference in options. can you pull them and place in a QT tank? Ich in a reef tank will be pretty hard if you cant pull the fish. I have had luck with garlic... some people dont think it works... cant hurt anything to try it though. I think my problem was bacterial or fungal now as no other fish on the breeding setup have the same issue, never did spread.

dismalorb
11/19/2008, 02:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13773225#post13773225 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Evansbr
no anenome, they are breeders in my setup so they get flowerpots. :D I have been treating with melafix and primafix. she is looking alot better after 4 days. haven't given anything for parasites and she is doing good. are yours in a fish only or a reef? that will make a BIG difference in options. can you pull them and place in a QT tank? Ich in a reef tank will be pretty hard if you cant pull the fish. I have had luck with garlic... some people dont think it works... cant hurt anything to try it though. I think my problem was bacterial or fungal now as no other fish on the breeding setup have the same issue, never did spread.

Hey there!

Mine are in a 75g reef tank right now, but I'm about to tear the whole thing apart to save my fish and quarantine them with copper, and spare the corals any treatment, be it "reef safe" or not.

I've been using garlic in rather large amounts with the Kent stuff, and not really seen any results other than my Xenia hating me. ;)

I ordered some of that Polyp Lab "Medic" stuff which is some type of peroxide based medication... MD told me it was pure metronidozole, although they were poorly mistaken. Luckily they covered my overnight shipping after mislabelling another medication on their website I had 2-day aired to my house. UGH.

If you want to try some of it I'd be happy to give ya some, or exchange it for a little frag. :)

You gonna be at the PNWMAS xmas party?