PDA

View Full Version : plumbing a new reef tank

BigJim
11/13/2008, 03:57 PM
I am upgrading my aga 55 to a 150 gallon reef system. I am new to the concept of using a sump(my 55 is all HOB, no sump). The new tank has two overflows built in rated at 600 gph ea. The tank has 4 holes drilled in the back for returns, two at the top, two at the bottom.

To return water from my sump to the main tank I wanted to use two of the returns in the back, one at the top, one at the bottom. I was going to split the return line to send water to each.

My question is: if the power goes out, what will stop the water from flowing back into my sump? If I only used the top return hole I am assuming that the water level would drain down to that point which is not that much water but if I used the return at the bottom wouldn't all of the tank drain out? Should I not use the return hole at the bottom of the tank? What are those holes used for? Should I only use the top two holes as returns? I hope this makes sense.

Slakker
11/13/2008, 04:13 PM
You're correct, using the lower holes for your return could be disaster.

The lower holes may be meant to be used with a closed loop.

Capt_Cully
11/13/2008, 05:12 PM
You could use a check valve to prevent back siphon. But I think Slakker is right. They were probably meant to be used with a CL. You could plumb them to an Ocean motion. That'd be sweet. Not sure if they have some sort of check valve integrated into them. Worth looking at.

crvz
11/13/2008, 05:57 PM
I've heard twice in the last week where someone's tank flooded because the check valve failed. I wouldnt recommend that as a good solution for those lower holes.