PDA

View Full Version : chillers VS AC in the house

khaosinc
11/14/2008, 05:29 AM
Well, I'm ok for now but I'm just going in to winter in the pacific NW. As it stands, I still haven't even turned on the heat in my house... despite the fact its 40 degrees outside. Its also at last check 80.3 in my tank and I'm pretty sure none of the heaters have kicked on (set to 78.. and I've never seen a light on)

So heres my quandery/situation In the area in question (my living room/zoo of about 800 square ft) there is 2 large Iguana habitats, 1 turtle set up including a indoor pond. My new 210 gallon saltwater tank, a 300 gallon African Cichlid tank, a 180 gallon South American Cichlid tank, a small quarantene tank thats soon to be upgraded, and a chameleon habitat.

Oh yea, theres a place for me to watch TV as well.. and occationally I even cook food in the kitchen.

So no matter what I do with enclosures, its not going to get below 75-80 in this room and I'm looking for my best option for keeping my new saltwater tank cooler, but not running my power bill over my weekly salary. So I figure I have 2 options and I am looking for advice.

1 a big chiller.... from pricing, and additional costs I figure I pencil in about $1000

The other option would just be putting in AC for the whole room, and keep the setting at say 75 degrees. Keeping in mind that I still need to keep basking areas at 90+ degrees in the same room, but they don't need to be large, and can be at least a little insulated. From basic searches.. I don't think costs would be much different... not sure o the power bill.

Opinions wanted

fishysteve
11/14/2008, 05:46 AM
I'd go with the chiller.

greenbean36191
11/14/2008, 06:06 AM
Your tank is already running on the cooler side of the acceptable range. There is no need to invest in a chiller or turn up the AC. If anything you should consider turning up the heater. Personally though, I would just leave the tank how it is since it's already at a good wintertime temperature.

guppychao
11/14/2008, 09:04 AM
with the ac unit, if you have not considered already, i believe your water evaporation with be higher.

BigJay
11/14/2008, 09:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13743893#post13743893 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenbean36191
Your tank is already running on the cooler side of the acceptable range. There is no need to invest in a chiller or turn up the AC. If anything you should consider turning up the heater. Personally though, I would just leave the tank how it is since it's already at a good wintertime temperature.

Greenbean, what's a good temp range?

My heaters keep things between 78 and 81 every day. During the summer that's 1-2 degrees higher on the low and high end. Is this bad?

MeuserReef
11/14/2008, 09:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13744667#post13744667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigJay
Is this bad?

Ask your corals...

Too much time is spent trying to determine the "right" temperature. Im a very strong believer that a STABLE temp is a far more important goal than obtaining a "correct" temp.

Now with that said, I think we would all agree that 76-84° is probably the range we should be looking to fall within.

khaosinc
11/15/2008, 03:38 AM
the problem is that currently I have neither AC or a chiller. its november now, and its 40 degrees outside at night, and I haven't even turned on the heat in the house. I can only imagine 10-15 degrees warmer in about 6 months...