PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Inverts

julie180
11/14/2008, 09:56 AM
I am awaiting a shipment of snails, crabs, sea cucumbers, peppermint shrimp, emerals crabs a scallop, sally light foot crabs and 1 lone fish from Liveaquaria.com

I am planning on a qt for the fish but wondered if I should put everyone in. Its a 12 gallon tank that I am not planning on any medications unless needed.

I know inverts cant tank any type of copper meds.

Thoughts?

I was also thinking that would be a lot in that size tank. Maybe I should only isolate certain inverts.

Thanks

sassafrass
11/14/2008, 10:10 AM
You mention crabs 3 times ,the sally lightfoot will get large and in my experience will become a predator in your tank killing anything it can get ,it moves very fast and is going to be the one thing I believe you will regret adding.

julie180
11/14/2008, 10:12 AM
sass,

Thanks for you opinion, I have had several of them in my mixed tank and they have never been a problem. I like them enough to chance it again.

85galsalty
11/14/2008, 07:51 PM
I am curious about this as well, hope someone can provide some advice.

abulgin
11/14/2008, 08:10 PM
I have seen and kept many a Sally Lightfoot and have never had a problem with them eating fish. The will steal food from corals, anemones, etc., but generally they are pretty safe.

abulgin
11/14/2008, 08:11 PM
Personally, I think QT inverts is overkill. A good dip in clean system water should be fine. Sure, there's a chance they may transfer something to your tank, but I think the risk is pretty minimal.

tmz
11/14/2008, 08:52 PM
I generally don't qt snails and crabs. It may be a good idea if it's convenient and you are not treating qtd fish prophylactically. Snails in particular can carry in organisms harmful to clams an other snails in your tank .So it's worth watching them for a few days to see if they are healthy in my opinion.Be sure to acclimate those critters each time you move them and remember they need nsw salinity so if you are running the qt with lower sg don't put them in there.

Aquarist007
11/14/2008, 11:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13748358#post13748358 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
I generally don't qt snails and crabs. It may be a good idea if it's convenient and you are not treating qtd fish prophylactically. Snails in particular can carry in organisms harmful to clams an other snails in your tank .So it's worth watching them for a few days to see if they are healthy in my opinion.Be sure to acclimate those critters each time you move them and remember they need nsw salinity so if you are running the qt with lower sg don't put them in there.

also check the level of the salinity of the water from the LFS(in the bag) Many of them keep salinity levels at 1.018 which means a longer acclimitization period to introduce them to 1.026.
I will use a qt tank over a 24 hr period if I find this happening and gradually bring up the salinity.

tmz
11/14/2008, 11:45 PM
I have never kept a Sallylightfoot crab(Percnon gibbesi) but have been advised not to by many who have.
Dr . Ronald Shimek in his book,"Marine Invertebrates:, says this about them ,fyi;

"Not reef safe. Large specimens get a gressive,predatory ,and destructive.
...A better name for it might be "Jekyll and Hyde crab" it will seem benign for several months...then undergoes a personality shift..The males claws enlarge.....lunges and often catches fishes.....Large ones will tear apart sea anemones....and feast on hermit crabs. these crabs are...nearly impossible to catch...