PDA

View Full Version : Filter Feeders -- What's the Story?

Whys
11/14/2008, 10:12 AM
Okay, what's the story on filter feeders? I have a cerith with 3 live barnacles attached to its shell. I have at least 1 spaghetti worm in my liverock, and I had thought about sandbed clams until my LFS mentioned that as filter feeders they need a fairly dirty tank to live.

So here is what I can't figure out. Are my filter feeders going to starve in my tank? Should I allow my tank to become "dirtier"? That hardly seems a good idea. And I've seen many beautiful reefs with many filter feeders, and those tanks did not look dirty.

So what's the deal?

rydr119
11/14/2008, 11:33 AM
Clams and such although they are filter feeders use light like corals. On the other hand creatures like flame scallops need dirty water to do well long term. It all depends on the type of filter feeder being discussed. And just b/c you have a "clean" tank doesn't mean you can't keep filter feeders. If you were really that concerned that your tanks water wasn't dirty enough, there are products like DT's that are designed specifically for filter feeders. Corals to are also filter feeders. Most people just don't think of them like that. Polyps extend in order to collect passing food in the water column.
As far as keeping clams in a clean tank, just look at all the TOTM's almost all of them have clams in them, and those tanks aren't dirty.

Rae C.
11/14/2008, 11:39 AM
Just having fish poop inthe tank makes it dirty enough for filter feeders. Especially the smaller ones.

Juruense
11/14/2008, 12:36 PM
I use Liquid Life BioPlankton for my filter feeders.

thecoralreefer
11/14/2008, 12:49 PM
Correct Most corals are filter feeders but will survive for quite some time w/out food or visible food anyway.
Some have very specific diets like for instance sun corals almost have to be fed directly w/ a baster or syringe so as to get enough
And when a clam poops it gives off lots of food for everybody, even fish will eat it. Elegance will eat a fish, so will some frogspawn. Every one has a size factor but they all filter feed.

mpty
11/14/2008, 02:08 PM
yeah like i have a feather duster and i dunno if should be feedin it. i used to take my flame scallop out everytime i could find it and like dip it in a bowl filled with phyto but she like disappeared.

i'm on the fence now with what filter feeders mean also. i totally get that some/most corals filter feed + light (photosynthetic symbiotic crap) but what about strict filter feeders like gorgos or duster worms?

it's like all complicated becuz if you put phyto into yer tank to feed them, it supposedly pollutes yer tank. but then you gotta take the filter feeder out just to feed it? then if you just don't worry about it like some peeps say they'll just hopefully find food from like the water - then how can u tell if its starvin? im guessing my scallop starved to death cuz that's what peeps online said.

xoxompty