PDA

View Full Version : New Tangs!

vipjd39
11/14/2008, 12:22 PM
Well, based on the great information and help i received here on an earlier post, i shyed away from the achilles and purple like I originally wanted and went with the mimic/chocolate tang and a yellow eye kole tang. Picked them up today and they are absolutely beautiful. unfortuantely, I have gotten mixed information on QT'ing. i am going to definitely QT, but do I need to dose anything, just watch them for a few weeks, filtration, etc.

I am going to just use water and rock from my main tank that has been up and running for 3 years. is this sufficient? Thanks.

MattL
11/14/2008, 12:29 PM
It's a good start. If you have a skimmer, putting that on the q-tank will also help in the short term.

I'm glad you are quarantining. It is very important.

If you want to use any copper based medicine, then no, you can not use the live rock, although you can remove it when it is time.

However, hyposalinity can be used with live rock and sand. Just be prepared to adjust the salinity slowly (0.001 - 0.002 per day) and realize that the coraline algae will be lost (it will come back). Assuming it is just rock and sand, I have heard Prazipro can be used with no problems as well.

So in short, unless you are using copper, then using rock from your display tank should work just fine (although I recommend supplemental skimming).

That said, after the fish settle in and are feeding, then you can decide which treatment course to pursue. I usually wait until they recover from their trip before I start hyposalinity.

So you sound fine for now. I think you will be much happier. These are great fish and they are hardy and forgiving with great personalities. Just let them chill in your hospital tank, and write back when you're ready to begin treatment,

Matt:cool:

Gwynhidwy
11/14/2008, 01:01 PM
Prazipro is a good idea for all fish that you get and is safe for your liverock provided it is not covered in tube worms or flatworms.

I have to respectfully disagree with MattL that hypo will be safe with live rock. In my personal experience a large portion of the life on healthy live rock will die and can cause serious water quality problems despite the natural filtration capabilities of live rock. Now if you don't have much in the way of sponges, macroalgae, etc on your live rock it will be fine.

I like to treat with Prazipro right away while the fish are settling in because flukes can kill quickly and unseen. Then I treat any other diseases as they arise.

MattL
11/14/2008, 01:58 PM
To clarify, yes, any macroscopic life on the rock that you can see (sponges), will be lost. Coraline will also bleach through hyposalinity, but I have found that it will come back. Other than that, my studies have found live rock to be well suited for use in hyposalinity. I always use base rock. If you can not see anything really besides coraline, then you can always skim while you are adjusting salinity to compensate for any dieoff.

Matt:cool:

vipjd39
11/14/2008, 10:37 PM
both are eating and swimming around and look healthy...but then again my only real experience is with seahorses so when i say "look" healthy, that is solely my opinion. Ive got some prazipro so do I just follow the directions on there? Thanks.

Gwynhidwy
11/15/2008, 07:32 AM
Yes, follow the directions. One teaspoon for each 20 gallons of tank water. Make sure to shake the bottle very well! Remove all chemical filtration media and don't skim the tank. The treatment is directed for five days, but I usually do 14 days.

crvz
11/15/2008, 03:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13748911#post13748911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vipjd39
both are eating and swimming around and look healthy...but then again my only real experience is with seahorses so when i say "look" healthy, that is solely my opinion. Ive got some prazipro so do I just follow the directions on there? Thanks.

personally, I would do nothing unless you've reason to warrant it. If the fish appear healthy, and they're eating well, I would just wait 4-6 weeks to see if anything pops up. If it does, then I'd worry about some sort of medication, but I wouldnt preventatively medicate.