PDA

View Full Version : Need tips for moving to new tank

Safedad
11/14/2008, 07:58 PM
I am upgrading from a 55g to a 90 g. I am looking for tips on making the move with O casualties. The existing tank is upstairs so I will need to move things into a room downstairs. Seems pretty straightforward so this is my plan:
Preparation
1 Finish and install crown molding
2 Install back panel with vent and cord outlet hole
3 Install one end panel
4 Install all four doors
5 Epoxy grids on return piping so gutter guard doesn’t come loose
6 Modify existing light hood for new lights
7 Install GFCI outlet and identify circuit plugs, check current amps of items on the circuit, install new circuit if needed,
8 Confirm floor will hold tank
9 Rinse out new aquarium one last time with tap water, then RO
10 Move parts into house
11 Assemble parts in family room
12 Record amps for all items as they are installed - DJ is multistrip with a switch for each plug; AQ is aquacontroller Jr
Iwaki pump _____ (DJ 1); Yellow pump _____ (DJ 2); Little squirt _____ (DJ 3); Heater 1 _____ (AQ 1); Heater 2 _____ (AQ 2) ; JBJ top off _____ (DJ 4); MJ 400 top off pump _____ ;Lof A sump light _____ (DJ 5); ASM G3 Sedra pump _____ (DJ 6); 400W MH _____ (AQ 3); 55W PC 1 _____ (AQ 4); 55W PC 2 _____ (AQ 5); 55w PC 3 _____ (AQ 6); 55W PC 4 _____ (AQ 7); Aquacontroller Jr _____
13 a. sump, b. topoff tank, c. hook up Little Squirt without cylinder (DJ - 3) d. hook up pumps (DJ - 1, 2) e all plumbing
14 Leak test the new setup with RO, test pumping from the garage for effectiveness and leaks with quick disconnects
15 Add sand to new tank (pre rinsed)
16 Do not run little squirt while installing sand
17 Run a filter sock while introducing sand
18 Start up pumps (DJ - 1, 2)
19 Move heaters to new sump (DJ - temporarily) and bring water up to temp
20 Make new salt water in new aquarium,
21 At existing aquarium mix new tank salt water with current tank and return to new aquarium (reduce acclimation issue)
Move to new 90 gal tank
22 Get all buckets and towels in old aquarium room
23 Turn off all electrical items
Unplug and label everything except main pump
24 Remove the lighthood and take to new room
25 Remove the Aquacontroller and install in new cabinet
26 Switch heaters to Aquacontroller (AQ - 1, 2)
27 Install skimmer and start it up (DJ - 6)
28 Install and setup topoff switch and controller (DJ - 4)
29 Install sump Lights of America lamp (DJ - 5 with timer)
30 Install turf algae scrubber
31 Label Aquacontroller and DJ switches
32 Move coral frags
33 Move rocks to new tank - blow off with maxi jet in one bucket, transfer in another bucket
34 Aquascape tank on PVC pieces in sand
35 Add fish and any inverts left from tank
36 Install lights and hook up to aquacontroller (AQ 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) AQ 8 will be future 400W MH
37 Add Prodibio and Right Now bacteria
38 Check water parameters
39 Turn pump off in original sump
40 Dismantle old system and remove (FOR SALE - new owner picks up 55 gal tank, 55 gal sump - 4 compartments, CPR overflow and lift pump (s); topoff switch; tank support and sump cabinet, and will get light hood with 1 55W 50/50 PC bulb, ballast, and reflector when I finish new one.

Since I haven't done it before, let me know how to do it better!
Thanks

benzreef
11/14/2008, 11:58 PM
looks like you've thought of everything. i'd keep it

Ritten
11/15/2008, 12:51 AM
Looks like you've got a good plan. IMHO, I would make up the 40-50 or so gallons of extra water 24-48 hours ahead of time and have it circulating and oxegenating during that time and add as much of the old water as possible to that.

Safedad
11/15/2008, 07:14 AM
Ritten, That is my intention with step 21. I want have the water pretty similar, if not just a little "cleaner" in the new tank. I would do the mixing on the same day, but I am not sure I could keep the temperature up. If the new tank doesn't need both heaters, I could use my makeup tank heater and one of the sump heaters. My other thought was by mixing them the day before, I would "start" the acclimation process.
Thanks for the tip,
Bob

Safedad
11/15/2008, 05:15 PM
This is part of a note I sent a friend that is an engineer. Any thoughts?
I hope your fall is going well. I am about ready to install my new 90 gal aquarium. It is going to be on the first floor in a corner of two load bearing walls. The floor joists are 8" studs on 16" centers. They will run parallel with the stand.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn299/safedad/90Galtank/DSC00019.jpg
The stand is 31" X 54." The base is 2 X 4's and weight will be on the perimeter dimension. I estimate the aquarium, stand, sump, etc. dry weight is about 250 lbs. I will have about 120 gallons of water and about 50lbs of rock. Rough dead weight will be 250 + 50 + 960 (8 * 120 gal) = 1260.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn299/safedad/90Galtank/DSC00018.jpg
Do you think I would need to reinforce the floor (hardwood on plywood on joists)?

News flash, the interior designer just announced she might want it against another wall. That would make it perpendicular with the joists. This would be in the middle of an interior wall.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn299/safedad/90Galtank/DSC00020.jpg

Will either work so the designer can have flexibility?
Thanks,
Bob

Safedad
11/15/2008, 06:30 PM
12 Record amps for all items as they are installed - DJ is multistrip with a switch for each plug; AQ is aquacontroller Jr
Iwaki MD70 RLT pump _2.9_ (DJ 1); Blueline 40 pump _.83_ (DJ 2); Little squirt _____ (DJ 3); Heater 1 _____ (AQ 1); Heater 2 _____ (AQ 2) ; JBJ top off _____ (DJ 4); MJ 400 top off pump _____ ;Lof A sump light _____ (DJ 5); ASM G3 Sedra pump _____ (DJ 6); 400W MH _____ (AQ 3); 55W PC 1 _____ (AQ 4); 55W PC 2 _____ (AQ 5); 55w PC 3 _____ (AQ 6); 55W PC 4 _____ (AQ 7); Aquacontroller Jr _____

The plug I was planning on using is part of 15 amp Circuit 16 with 7 outlets, 2 overhead lights, and one overhead fan. One of these plugs is often used for ironing. It looks like a new circuit needs to go in the breaker box.