PDA

View Full Version : Need emergency help please

luamada
11/15/2008, 06:25 AM
I had a major leak in my salt water tank during the night. there was water poring down the tank, so I decided to convert my fresh water 55 gallons to sw and moved my freshwater fishes to a 10 gl. I just realized now that I do not know what to do. is the bio freshwater going to kill my salt water fishes? what should I do?

ektor
11/15/2008, 06:30 AM
First thing would be to be calm. Then put the fresh water fish in fresh water and make or transfer salt water to a tank that has salt water. Afterwards address the leak.

Salt water fish will not last long in fresh water.

otrlynn
11/15/2008, 07:29 AM
Hard to figure out what your plan was from your first post... Hopefully you have your saltwater fish in saltwater in some type of large bucket or bin by now. Put a heater in there and a source of oxygen like an airstone running off of a air pump. Cover the container with a window screen or something to keep fish from jumping out and take a deep breath. I have heard that you should not mix salt into the fresh water that is already in your fishtank because of the different bacteria and organisms that inhabit fresh water vs. salt. I have no personal experience with this and maybe someone else will respond with a post on this topic. At this point, I think you are looking at dumping the contents of the 55, cleaning it out with water and vinegar, giving it a good rinse, and setting up as a brand new tank. Or going out and buying a new tank for the saltwater fish.

Sk8r
11/15/2008, 09:04 AM
If you put them into fresh water, kidney damage is likely and I would be amazed if they survive, I'm sad to say. Strong rains in the ocean do produce layers of 'fresh' water and fish have some means of coping with this---mostly leaving for saltier water. Dump entire contents of the 55 g including sand. Rinse out with vinegar and dry off. Mix saltwater (a maxijet pump can speed this) until clear, add sand, add 55 lbs of live rock (or as much live rock as you have and the rest limestone base rock) and just settle back for a cycle. You will need to maintain your marine fish, if any, for several weeks in a small bare salt tank while this tank cycles. Some may live. Fish can be pretty hardy.
NOTE: all changes in salinity (acclimation), up or down, should be made at about the rate of .001 per 15 minutes. A refractometer is indispensible in this operation. And salt water must be well mixed: unmixed granules can burn gills very severely.
Because marine tanks involve an enormous and unstable pressure of rock, the less expensive thin-glass tanks are at risk. Take extra precautions not to strike or bump the glass and be sure when you do set up to use a carpenters bubble level to be absolutely sure your tank is level. If not, shim the stand, not the tank. Be sure it is evenly supported all the way on its bottom.

luamada
11/15/2008, 09:30 AM
This is what I have done so far (other than crying my eyes out and my heart hurts).
I moved my freshwater fishes to a 10 gallons, removed everything from my 55 gallons freshwater and cleaned it and then put some of the live rocks from my salt water in it with salt water and put 2 power heads in with the filter runing (the filter that I used with the freshwater). Moved all living things in that tank just to realize that I do not have a way to put the sump or the skeemer in that tank because it is not drilled. Now, I need a tank and all the help I can get.
I have water in my salt water tank one inch above the sand bed and have the rest of the rocks in buckets with some water on it. What to do???? help....

tmz
11/15/2008, 10:54 AM
Where are your slat water fish ,now? Prolonged exposure to freshwater will kill them. They have an internal salinity of 1.008. Anything lower than than in the surrounding water will cause water to flow into them through their skin and gills and destroy their internal chemistry. They have no way of expelling it.

luamada
11/15/2008, 11:19 AM
the salt water fish is in salt water in the 55 gal tank that used to be fresh water and Iconverted through the night, but I have no skimmer on it and no sump, just 2 power heads and the filter that was runing the freshwater tank plus the live rocks that I could fit in there without taking all the space. I am really lost. I went tothe fishstore to check on prices of a new one and it will take at least 1 week to get it plus it is 450. I saw one online used for 700 with everything but it is smaller which I really do not mind at all. what do you think i shoudl do? thanks

luamada
11/15/2008, 11:20 AM
tom and everyone, i have put the live rock in a bucket with some water and newspaper ontop of it. I am scared to fill up the bucket and to have it run water all over again. I am thinking of going to home depot and getting some kind of heavy dirty buckets. any ideas on that? What to do with the live rocks?

tmz
11/15/2008, 11:44 AM
You can keep the rock in saltwater in a rubbermaid bin. Just be careful not to pierce the bin with the rock. An airstone or a powerhead to prevent stagnation should be added.

Your biofiltration should be ok with the live rock you have in in the tank but I would test ammonia daily for a few days to make sure it's covering it.

luamada
11/15/2008, 01:42 PM
do you know what I can do to save my life sand? it has been in the bad tank since this morning. I really want to save it. What should I do? thanks

tmz
11/15/2008, 02:02 PM
Just keep it wet with salt water in an aerated bin. If you stir it up taking it out .Give it a good rinse in saltwater first.

WaterKeeper
11/15/2008, 02:32 PM
:lol:

Is the freshwater in the saltwater?

That first post threw everyone off I think, Lua. I'm prettty sure you put the FW fish in FW and the SW fish in SW. That should be fine. About the only thing I can think of is that, in the rush, the water may have been freshly made and somewhat cool. That is usually fine with fish but can be bad for any inverts in the tank. Watch those if you have any. Otherwise, just do some water changes about 10% every other day, during the transfer to keep any cycle under control. Check ammonia levels and if they rise change out even more water. If ammonia stays low you will be fine.

Playa-1
11/16/2008, 12:08 PM
I'm curious, Is the 125 tank busted, leaking from the seams or did the drain get clogged and cause it to overflow?

luamada
11/16/2008, 02:52 PM
I think it is leaking from the seams because the water was coming from the side of the tank and distributed in the botton, but I am not sure. I will clean all up and see if I can figure it out. Is there any type of glue that will fix problems with the seams??? any ideas on how to fix it?? thanks

Playa-1
11/16/2008, 03:41 PM
It could be fixable. Is the tank Glass or Acrylic?

luamada
11/16/2008, 03:47 PM
it is glass and 72X18X21. thanks

gjh289
11/16/2008, 03:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13757654#post13757654 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luamada
I think it is leaking from the seams because the water was coming from the side of the tank and distributed in the botton, but I am not sure. I will clean all up and see if I can figure it out. Is there any type of glue that will fix problems with the seams??? any ideas on how to fix it?? thanks

Did you figure out the problem yet? I think we will all be able to help more if you can narrow things down. The more detailed the better.

Playa-1
11/16/2008, 04:03 PM
If it's glass and leaking from the seams then it can likely be repaired. I agree with gjh289 in that you should figure out specifically where it's leaking from and then we can likely steer you in the right direction.

rad3dad
11/16/2008, 04:23 PM
I seen you used the filter that was running on the fresh water tank for saltwater now. I hope you already did, but I would wash out all the existing bacteria that was colinized from the freshwater tank. They will just die, and release amonia in the tank.
A simple, even temporary fix would be to use a HOB overflow to incorporate the sump/skimmer on the new saltwater tank, depending on how long you plan to use that one.

luamada
11/17/2008, 08:10 AM
Thank you all who have replied. Here is more t=details
I removed all the sand and the rest of the water from the tank and the glass is not broken. It seems to be coming from the seams on one side and rolling to the center of the tank. What I am thinking of doing if no one email me to buy it by tomorrow, is to try to fix it. I will need all the help I can get. I am affraid to have the tank, but I guess it will be hard to sell it that fast too.
Does anyone know what kind of silicon glue I can use? where to find it? how to fix it?
I am giving up my fresh water fishes to the store today. I have most of the rocks in a bucket with sw and a power head, and I also have the sand on another bucket with the bioballs and a power head. I have 2 power head in the 55gl tank with the biofilter (from the freshwater set up). I have tested the number yesterday and everything is 0 accept the phospate that went up to 0.14 any ideas on that? My corals are losing the color the xenias are not the same colors and the mushrooms are closed today. I will test the water later. Please give me some inside on how to fix it. thanks or do you think I should just sell everything?
lu

Playa-1
11/17/2008, 10:21 AM
An oversimplified version of what you need to do:
Remove old Silicone, carefully clean the glass, apply new silicone and allow to properly cure. Here is a couple of articles on the subject that a quick google search pulls up:

http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=107

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Spinelli_Resealing_Aquarium.html

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/aqrepairfaqs.htm

WaterKeeper
11/17/2008, 10:32 AM
Lu,

That first article is pretty complete. As Playa said, the key is removing all the old silicone form the seam before resealing the tank. It is not all that hard and you should be fine. The corals would suffer some as they don't have good lighting in the temporary tank and react when they are moved. If you fix the tank today it will be ready for use tomorrow, so don't despair.

luamada
11/17/2008, 11:16 AM
Hi Tom, thank you so much for all the input but I think I will sell the tank and get me a new one. I am so scared now, and I need to be able to sleep at night. I will also get a smaller one 55gal instead of 125.
Meanwhile, I need to figure it out how I am going to keep my rocks. I guess I will sell some of them as well.
:(

WaterKeeper
11/17/2008, 11:21 AM
Lucy,

The only thing about that is that a 125 can hold far more livestock than a 55. I don't want to see you overcrowding things and lose more sleep about worring why oxygen depleted tank conditions stressing you fish.

luamada
11/17/2008, 11:27 AM
Tom do you think that a 55 gal will hold:
1 clam (giga) but little one
2 clowns
1 yellow tang (already have this one)
1 poweder blue tang
1 red scarlet shrimp (already have this one)
1 anemone (one day)
2 bangai cardinals

WaterKeeper
11/17/2008, 11:40 AM
Lot of Tangs for a 55 Lucy. I'd really try to repair the 125.