PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to start my 65g build?

Blown76mav
11/15/2008, 08:38 AM
I think I'm ready to start my 65g build. I have my tank, stand, Mag 7 pump, a 30 sump/refigum, heater and I picked up a AquaC Remora protien skimmer last night. Oh and I have a pair of Coralife lites @ 192w each.

Is there anything else I need before I go buy distilled water and salt? I know a RO/DI unit would be the way to go but for start up I would waste over 275 gallons of water. If we had a conventional washing machine I could use the water there, but its a front fill and don't think I can get it to hold water without the door closed. So I figure it would be eaiser to use distilled and get the RO/DI in a few weeks and use it for water changes and top off.

Thanks

Lonnie

crvz
11/15/2008, 10:14 AM
How would you waste 275 gallons of water? Through the rejection of the RO/DI? Still well worth it, I'd go with the RO/DI on initial fill in particular.

sassafrass
11/15/2008, 10:19 AM
+1

imcosmokramer
11/15/2008, 10:52 AM
no question, use RO/DI for the initial fill. You will save yourself months of algae problems (at least ones due to tap water).

Also, what are you using for flow in the tank? Get a couple of powerheads.

Blown76mav
11/15/2008, 11:23 AM
Forgot the powerheads, I have 2 maxi-jet 1200's. Do I need more? I also have the fine white sand, but will need to seed it with live sand.

With a 4:1 ratio of most RO/DI units of waste water to good water, I'm going to throw away 4 gallons to every one I use correct? Too cold to use it to wash cars not that I would want that water to wash my hot rod, maybe the wifes mini van. No flower beds to use it on. So what do you do with the waste water other than watch it go down the drain?

Never said anything about tap water. Will I have a algae breakout using distilled?

Thanks for the replys.

imcosmokramer
11/15/2008, 06:56 PM
the amount of flow needed will depend on what type of corals you wish to keep. You should be fine with the 2 1200's. You can also reduce dead zones by directing your returns creatively.

Yes, it's very wasteful, but much less expensive than buying water (in the long run).

You can seed your sand with a little bit of live sand, or not, the LR will seed it either way.

Cycle your tank, then put some chaeto in your fuge and off you go.

Blown76mav
11/16/2008, 09:30 PM
Well I made a little progress, I now have the tank in the living room instead of the basement.:D