PDA

View Full Version : How do you like acrylic canopies?

Reefbox
11/15/2008, 10:47 AM
Thinking about putting together a couple black acrylic canopies for some smaller tanks.

Just trying to get some feedback as to if people like them or not.

Pro's or cons vs wood?

kcress
11/15/2008, 04:01 PM
Big con... I have 6" surrounds at the top of my tanks. Essentially black acrylic walls siliconed into the usual lid depressions in the plastic frame.

Originally they looked great. They don't actually look bad now. But they are an enormous pain in the rear to try to clean. Any salt water leaves an ugly, white, smeary haze, that takes a lot of work to remove. Eventually - about two weeks after assembly LOL - and you have obvious scratches showing up from scratchy cleaning devices, like soggy paper towel...

None of this afflicts wood based hoods as they don't need to be mirror shiny to look clean. If you used opaque white acrylic or something similar that might work better. Black is always a pain.

Dkarc
11/15/2008, 06:36 PM
Black acrylic hood/stands look very sharp.....but look at it and it will streak. LOL. Sounds a bit extreme, but every little thing is shown (EVERY little thing). It drove a buddy of mine nuts. Loved the tank, hated the canopy/stand.

-Ryan

arre
11/15/2008, 06:37 PM
yea i agree it looks nice