PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Sump Leaking

Montezuma
11/15/2008, 11:04 AM
I got a sump last night, and I went to test it with Water. I noticed it was leaking from a few seams. I thought I read that silicone will not stick to acrylic.

An idea what I can do. I have empty and dried now. I do have some Weldon 16.. Just not sure how to put it on.

rogergolf66
11/15/2008, 01:20 PM
you can use weldon 16. I would apply it to the outside and the inside of the seams on the tank. if you have enough I would just redo all the seams. that is if it dosn't have to be pretty.

Roger

WaterKeeper
11/15/2008, 01:21 PM
True, but the same cements used to join PVC together work fine and some are even made specifically for acrylic. Get one of the clear types of that to reseal it at Home Despot or Lowes.

crvz
11/15/2008, 03:40 PM
I don't know that I would trust a PVC glue to fix an acrylic leak. Definitely use the weldon product, the 16 is thick enough that you can apply it similarly to silicon if the tank is mostly assembled. It shrinks a lot as it cures.

Can you post a picture of the sump you got? Where did you get it from?

WaterKeeper
11/15/2008, 04:04 PM
Here's an old RK article on Working with Acrylic (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-04/jg/index.php). Checking it also give a silicone, GE Contractors Silicone SCS 1200, that the Jon Garner said works. Weldon #3 and #4 are also recommended by the suppliers of that product. All are easily available.