PDA

View Full Version : please help sump build

jake3482
11/15/2008, 09:35 PM
im new on here and i need some help with building my sump.Im building it out of a 30 gallon tank wich is 36 long and 16 high and 12 wide the first chamber will be where my rs100 euro reef skimmer will be.the size of this chamber will be 10 inches long i was going to use the 3 baffles that i will space 1 inch apart i hope this is right.so the next chamber will be for fraging sand or whatever this chamber will be 15 inches i will then have 3 more baffles and then the final chamber wich will be my pump . my question is how tall do i need to make the baffles i no my skimmer says it should have 6 inches constant level in its area also how much do i need to space the middle baffle up off the bottom of the tank please help if you need any more info i will give it to you.i will be using a cpr overflow box if this matters thanks jake.

tgfrench
11/15/2008, 09:41 PM
I'd raise the skimmer as high under the cabinet you can get it so that your refug. can have a larger water volume. What size of tank is this going under. Its difficult to judge the amount of water you will get in the sump with a power down without this information.

jake3482
11/15/2008, 09:43 PM
the main tank is a 75 gallon i can raise the skimmer

tgfrench
11/15/2008, 09:48 PM
I'd advise a max of 8" for your baffle height, and keep the amount of water in the return pump section to a mim. provided you have an auto topoff system.

jake3482
11/15/2008, 09:50 PM
WHAT ABOUT THE MIDDLE BAFFLE HOW HIGH OFF THE BOTTOM SHOULD I KEEP IT AND IS 1 INCH APART GOOD

tgfrench
11/15/2008, 09:52 PM
1" off the bottom is enough and 1 apart is fine.

jake3482
11/15/2008, 09:55 PM
thank you for the help

spleify
11/15/2008, 10:09 PM
With a 16" tall sump X 36' X 12" I would make the baffles 11" tall, that should usually give you plenty of back flow room. This give you more than 9 gallons of empty space. You may even get away with 12" or 13" tall baffles. If you can determine how much water will empty out then go from there.
I also think you can get away with only one set of baffles. I have never found having two sets of baffles any advantage, only takes up more room, that you could use for something else.
Do you have an ATO? If not, make the return section as big as possible, as this is where you will see your evap loss.

HTH

Spleify

danceswithfish
11/16/2008, 01:18 PM
I built a a sump very similar to the one you are describing. I made the middle baffle 1" off the bottom. My baffles are 10" high and I am thinking I could have made them even higher and still fit my skimmer in.

Be careful with the return/pump section. This needs to be large enough to not run dry due to evaporation. If you have an auto top off system you can make this section small.

Use the middle section for macro algae! Add a light and some cheto. Click on my red house if you want to see what I built.