PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about light movers

Jeff
11/16/2008, 08:00 PM
In these times of high energy costs people are looking for alternative ways of powering their devices, houses, and cars. I live in a house that my family shares with my mother in law who lives downstairs so having a large reef can sometimes pose problems. Another problem that I have is the ability to dream up ways of spending money that I really dont have...
Anyway, I have been in the hobby long enough to see lighting trends come and go. I started with T12 and then thru the years have used CF's, metal halides and for the last year have been using a 14 bulb T5 fixture over my 6 foot reef with good results. I say good, not great because I have a 30" deep reef and I am not so sure that I am getting the PAR I need in the middle and bottom of the tank. I have had a lot of trouble keeping sps, but have attributed it to persistant low ph (7.8 at night, 8.05 during the day). The ph thing is another topic all together...
My last lighting fantasy involved LED's and after a lot of research have found that if I dont want to drop $4000.00 on a Solaris I5 fixture I would have to build one. The only thing stopping me is my complete lack of any electrical knowledge and the fact that led reef lighting is still in its infancy and still too expensive (startup costs IMO).
My next thaught was utilizing a light mover to run a 400 watt HQI lamp back and forth over my reef utilizing a light mover. This would solve a lot of problems. For one, energy costs. A 400 watt light uses a lot less energy then (3) 250 watt stationary lights. Second is heat. Same priciple, 400 watts as opposed to 550 watts. Third, is the lack of room on my one and only electrical circuit. I cant really increase my lighting without running another circuit and I am not sure how long I will be living where I am.
I am looking for ideas regarding light movers from those who own or have seen them in use. I have questions regarding their quality and their effectiveness.
Thanks in advance :).

Jeff
11/17/2008, 05:57 AM
Anybody using these things?

pdelcast
11/17/2008, 09:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13761486#post13761486 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeff
Anybody using these things?

I assume you are talking about Solatubes and similar products?

There are several threads on here about using/experiences/ etc.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1457056&highlight=solatube

And BTW -- LEDs are not necessarily a low energy usage alternative. You still need power to grow corals. -- in some cases they will save you a little bit of money because there is less "waste" light, but their efficiency is a little lower than MH and T5 right now.

Really, if you want to save money on energy costs, the sun is your best bet. 1000 watts per square meter of light energy, and it's free.

Jeff
11/17/2008, 10:27 AM
No sorry, I meant light movers.

pdelcast
11/17/2008, 10:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13762475#post13762475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeff
No sorry, I meant light movers.

So, the track mounted HID bulbs that move around, that are usually used to supplement natural sunlight in partially shaded greenhouses?

Can you explain how you would intend to use them? If you cut down on the wattage, you are cutting down on the wattage -- whether you move the lights around, or you just remove lights.

A light mover would tend to reduce the average light over an area vrs having a stationary light, but it would also prevent bright spots and dim spots... (just thinking)

I'm sure it would work ok. But:

I would assume that a light mover wouldn't look very good for starters (you would have a bright spot that moved back and forth.) It might be fairly noisy (but most large aquariums are fairly noisy already..)

Other than that - - it should be fine.

You know, you wouldn't even need a track -- you could just mount the HID in the middle and tilt the reflector back and forth...

PSam
11/17/2008, 11:11 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1151593

Jeff
11/17/2008, 11:41 AM
Patrick, I also wonder about dark areas at either end.
PSam, thanks for the link. I am not sure why it didnt come up when I did a search. Good info there.

kuramura
11/17/2008, 04:15 PM
Jeff here's what I came up with.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1512772

Jeff
11/17/2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks Roman :)

That would make my family seasick!

kuramura
11/17/2008, 05:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13765041#post13765041 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeff
Thanks Roman :)

That would make my family seasick!

It takes over one minute to cycle so you can barely tell it's moving.

Jeff
11/17/2008, 06:03 PM
I know but I would think that it would cause too many shadowed areas. Very cool pic though.

JNye
11/17/2008, 06:24 PM
I have presonally seen two in use. One is 1000 watts...a 20K. The other was 400 watt. They work fine, but are ugly to view. If you supplement just at viewing time you won't increase expense too much and solve the ugly problem. I've also noticed since the center gets double the light that algea grows much more visibly in that area, which is ugly. Even if you don't have an algea problem the contrast is still there because however little bit you have will still grow better in that area.
If your primary goal is to save money it is not worth is at all.
150 watts saved maybe for 8 hours a day max = $4.38 savings @ .12KWH in a month's time.

Jeff
11/17/2008, 06:46 PM
Makes sense Joe. The more I look into this idea, the more I am talking myself out of it. Appearance is important. My tank is in the living room where we hang out. I am not so sure the benefits outweigh the appearance...