PDA

View Full Version : started QT with copper

why_drift
11/16/2008, 11:22 PM
set up my QT last night,
got a blue tang, yellow tang, and 2 x clowns in a 2 foot tank.
will this be big enough for them for 5 or 6 weeks
the blue and yellow tangs are both under 2" and the clowns under 1"
started copper today, using the seachem cuprmine, testing with red sea test,

imcosmokramer
11/17/2008, 12:05 AM
Do they already have ich?

Playa-1
11/17/2008, 01:19 AM
Copper is a harsh treatment. I wouldn't have treated unless they were infected with something that copper could cure.

These fish should be ok with a copper treatment. You will likely have to do daily water changes to keep the Ammonia in check. Keep a close eye on PH too.

why_drift
11/17/2008, 04:59 AM
they have ich,
what do people use in the quarantine tanks when they first get them from the store? and not sure if the fish has paracites or anything bad?

patsfan1130
11/17/2008, 07:20 AM
I treat all new arrivals with copper and have for years. This is a highly debatable topic and many will tell you not to. I am not telling you to do so, just telling you what I do. It's worked for me for many years. Copper is very powerful and extremely harmful if not used properly. I do not advocate it's use unless one is very familiar with how to use it and what effects it has on certain species. All things being equal.....In my opinion...Copper use as a prophylactic on all new arrivals is a requirement.

Playa-1
11/17/2008, 10:37 AM
The 3rd sticky thread at the top of this forum covers this subject in gr8 detail. It's called

New-First Time on RC-Look Here for Answers
Scroll down to where it says
Quarantine and Acclimation
And check out the two Articles on the subject

There's also lots of other valuable info there to been seen.
Check out this link
Link (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031074)