PDA

View Full Version : Natural host for Ocellaris clowns

rockworm
11/17/2008, 08:57 AM
Which anemone is a natural host for a pair of Ocellaris clowns? I just acquired two from another reefer. They will be housed in a 54g corner bowfront under 150 HQI lighting. Thanks.

garygb
11/17/2008, 09:13 AM
Heteractis magnifica, Stichodactyla gigantea and S. mertensii are the natural hosts for ocellaris.

rockworm
11/17/2008, 09:22 AM
thank you garygb. Off to my favorite LFS to see what he can get.

garygb
11/17/2008, 09:38 AM
You might want to research each of those species of anemone, if you haven't already. They are generally considered difficult to keep. Also, finding a healthy one to begin with is the most difficult part, I think.

rockworm
11/17/2008, 11:04 AM
I have been checking out the anemones you provided and two observations I made. One, as you noted, they are difficult to keep. Two, a 54g will not be big enough to house one if I decided to go ahead. I have a 220g that may work, but it is a FOWLR with angels and butterflies and I am concerned that an anemone will get harassed by some of them. Further, an anemone may restrict my future additions to the tank.

The Saltaquarium.about site (http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/profiles/bl_anemsclownschart.htm) states the Ocellaris might accept a Entacmaea quadricolor (bubble tip) as a host. I will further research any successes with this combination.

Again, thanks for your help on this.

garygb
11/17/2008, 01:35 PM
You're welcome. Yeah, ocellaris often accept BTAs and sebaes (H. crispa) as well.