PDA

View Full Version : What should I put with my aggressive passer angel?

DamnPepShrimp
11/18/2008, 12:06 AM
To make a long story short, my brother has my 6" passer angel in a 90g (I know too small, but all we had at the time. He has an extremely aggressive 5" purple tang with it too. Well after a few months the passer nearly killed it, basically starving it. So tang goes in another tank. In comes my BDM, who's about full grown, the passer tail fanned him but not much you can do with a 32" eel. So I'm getting a 125g until I can get a 265g next year and I'd like to have all the fish in one tank. I'm wondering if adding a 3rd fish will help out the aggression so the passer doesnt pick out the tang. What could go with this beast? I know the tank is small, but I'll have the bigger tank up and running in a couple months. I'm leaning towards sohal, clown trigger or lunare wrasse, what does everyone think?

urbor
11/18/2008, 09:44 AM
OMG

these angels are so mean

i had one about inches, he kept a 16" queen trigger in his place.

The angel was the king of the tank, he lived with a green morey, tessalate, few puffers and triggers

DamnPepShrimp
11/18/2008, 10:49 AM
How big was your passer? Yeah, this guy is a beast! I was considering another angel, queens are pretty aggressive, but having two holocanthus might be trouble. I dont know what's the most aggressive pomacanthus angel, probably an emperor, but he'd have to be atleast 8" to hang with the passer. I have plenty of experience mixing angels, but never tried it with a passer. I'm leaning towards a clown trigger I guess? I can have the passer go in last so every other fish has its territory established. Any other ideas?

anbosu
11/18/2008, 01:45 PM
Generally I would think a lunare would be ok if you got a big enough one. I also think that the more aggressive puffers (maybe a porc?) would be ok as well, but I don't know for sure.

DamnPepShrimp
11/18/2008, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I have never been a fan of puffers, but maybe if I got one, it would grow on me. Porc's get huge, but I have been considering a niger trigger as well, I know they can get huge but mean with age. Lunare might be good, since they are fiesty and quick, but I am afraid it would still leave the purple tang singled out. I'm really leaning towards a similar sized clown trigger, hopefully I can get a mean one. I don't know what else? Thanks for the reply.

myerst2
11/18/2008, 07:11 PM
Hey bud. If I were you I would get a bunch of different damsels. They are cheap, pretty, active, and once established may even try show up the Passer. As far as other fish. You are much better going off with really small fish. Go with gobies, blennies, etc. They will most likely be ignored because they are small and wouldn't normally compete with the angel in the wild for feeding rights. If you want a decent sized fish then you will almost have to partition the display , preferably with something transparent to allow the Passer to get used to the new fish without hammering it to death!!!! T

DamnPepShrimp
11/18/2008, 08:51 PM
I do have a couple of little damsels. I have a pair of yellowtails and the dominant (of the damsels atleast) a bigger 4 stripe damsel. The passer still chases them, but they can dart in and out of the rocks. My problem is, I need to introduce the purple tang back into the tank. So I am going to add the passer last and put the purple tang, eel and one other big fish into the tank. Just can't decide what other big fish. The goal is to not have the only target be the purple tang, with 3 fish, instead of two, one isn't singled out. I am really leaning towards a clown trigger and maybe a lunare wrasse. I'd love a queen angel though, but that's a bit iffy.

DamnPepShrimp
11/19/2008, 08:52 PM
So the list comes down to this:
Clown trigger
Niger trigger
Sohal tang
Powder blue tang
Emperor angel
Queen angel

Obviously I'd get a larger fish then the passer, atleast equal size. Let the new fish get established first, then add the passer last. I also think I am going to add a lunare wrasse in addition to another bigger fish. Any suggestions?

lesleybird
11/19/2008, 09:23 PM
Since you have a Passer that is one of the most aggressive of the large angels I would skip other large angels and go with the other large fish that you listed that are aggressive but not like him. In the fish world a general rule is that a lot of fish have a better time sharing the confines of their aquarium territory with fish that are not like them ie. different species. I mix angels in my tank but mine are from the more mild mannered, mine include a Majestic, Scribbled, and a Regal in my 200 gallon. Also wait until you get the bigger tank to add more fish because having a small tank is helping the problem with aggression as the tank is too small for the Passer alone. When you get your bigger tank add the smallest and least aggressive fish first and the larger or more aggressive like the Passer or other larger, meaner fish last. If you add the Passer first he will think the whole big tank is his and will try to defend his tank when you put other fish in. If the other smaller and less aggressive fish are in there first the Passer will not be as defensive. Other fish like wrasses and blennies the larger angels could care less about having them in "their" tank and leave them alone. Maybe even a cool eel when you get a larger tank. I don't think their is a problem with an eel and the Passer, but an eel will eat small fish that fit in his mouth. Lesley

DamnPepShrimp
11/19/2008, 10:44 PM
I've mixed many fish, multiple angels, tangs etc. I know first in is smallest and least aggressive. The reason I'm adding another fish is so the passer doesnt single out the purple tang. I already have an eel, brazilian dragon moray. He's fine with the passer, doesnt eat the damsels in the tank. The passer sometimes tail fanned him in the begining but no harm done. Adding a different genus of angel from across the world may not be so bad. It would probably be a larger emperor if I did add one. I amleaning towards the clown trigger. Thanks for your response, but everything you talked about I already mentioned and knew :)

tcmfish
11/19/2008, 10:47 PM
If you want aggressive go with an undulated trigger. Plus they won't get as huge as some of the other trigger's.

DamnPepShrimp
11/19/2008, 11:02 PM
I would but I'm afraid he'd pick on my eel, mainly the horns on him. My BDM is supposed to be aggressive, but is actually pretty mellow, especially if well fed. I'm hoping a clown trigger will be eel safe, yet strong enough to hold up against the passer. I'd love an undy tho, someday I'll set up a tank just for one.