PDA

View Full Version : Interesting malu on Divers Den

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/18/2008, 10:50 AM
It is an interesting green and tan pattern. Anyone have any thoughts on it? It seems there are not many malu keepers around RC (assuming DD properly identified it).

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+4&ddid=51632

Toddrtrex
11/18/2008, 11:05 AM
I saw that one too, and really like it. If I was ready to redo one of my tanks might have gotten it.

Kimsie had gotten a similar one ( want to say it is purple with another color ) a while back from there. Might want to ask her any questions, but I do believe that the ID is correct.

kimsie
11/18/2008, 12:29 PM
I saw that one too... I'm sad to say my Malu that I got that was similar (it was purple and green) didn't make it past the 6 month mark...

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/18/2008, 12:39 PM
Any idea why it didn't make it?

kimsie
11/18/2008, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure... It never attached really strongly. It partially attached to a rock that was laying on the sand...

The anemone just very slowly got smaller - at first it wasn't even noticeable. Then after about 3 months you could tell it was smaller - and had lost color.

Lighting is a good possibility... It was under PC lighting - but a lot of it. I tried to move it to a MH lit tank - but it was either too late or that didn't help...

Unfortunately you just don't hear about a lot of these H. Malu anemones making it long term. At least I haven't heard great results.

I had another one that I bought locally - it was in another tank and got much darker while I owned it - but it also didn't make it past 6 months. Just got to the point where it didn't get bigger - stopped attaching then died.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/18/2008, 01:18 PM
OK, thanks. :)

kimsie
11/18/2008, 01:31 PM
I think that is a good price for one though - if you decide to try it!

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/18/2008, 01:44 PM
Well, if people had better success I'd likely try it, but I'm a little burned out after just finishing a failed 37 day attempt to get a red haddoni to transfer to my tank.

kimsie
11/18/2008, 02:35 PM
I know - I followed that... That one hurt to even read about. Such a beautiful anemone...

BigJay
11/18/2008, 02:39 PM
Give it a try Randy, that's a beautiful specimen.

If there's one thing I've learned in this hobby it's to never take a loss personally (even though your wallet does).

:)

wicked_NaCl_h2o
11/18/2008, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't...this anemones mouth is open and its tentacles are all short.(these are two big signs that this sebae isn't healthy) I tried two times with DD sebaes and both didn't make it. They were in my 120g, under two 150w MH, weekly water changes, and they still died.

Don't do it Randy, I would hate for you to suffer through another heart ache of losing another anemone.

Reefvette
11/18/2008, 06:38 PM
Lets also remeber when they take pics of these anemones is says taken under 400 or 250 watt 20k bulbs.

Personally i think they toss the anemone into a photo tank with a and the anemones get a shock from the light and close up.

The purple base bubbletip i got from them looked very unsimilar to what the pic showed.

marc price
11/19/2008, 01:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13770678#post13770678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kimsie
I'm sad to say my Malu that I got that was similar (it was purple and green) didn't make it past the 6 month mark... hope you're not referring to the purple tip/alternating white banded tentacles/green oral disc H. malu:\ anyway, i think my orange-brown/bright purple last thirds of the tentacles sebae is a H. malu. 20 months and hasn't grown larger than 8" (was the size of a golf ball). almost lost it twice, first time around the second month and recently from end of august thru mid october. bought it back by bouncing sunlight/cosmetic counter mirror and using a tank divider when feeding. keeps the clownfish from beating on it's mouth and grabbing the just eaten morsal. at this point i'll be surprised if it grows large and turns out to be H. crispa. i didn't want a H. malu and may trade it, although now the challenge adds interest.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/19/2008, 07:13 AM
this anemones mouth is open

It is? You folks must be more used to looking to see the partly hidden parts that such photos usually try to hide. I do wish they show clear mouth pictures. :)

Personally i think they toss the anemone into a photo tank with a and the anemones get a shock from the light and close up.

Well, that would make it hard to assess. Thanks.

wicked_NaCl_h2o
11/19/2008, 08:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13773022#post13773022 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefvette

The purple base bubbletip i got from them looked very unsimilar to what the pic showed.

Your bubble tip might have looked similar but you should know that btas handle shipping way better than sebaes.
Randy, if you look really close you can see its mouth open. Some thing they often try to hide in DD photos.
I do have to give LA credit though, when my H.Malu died( in less than two weeks) they gave me full credit plus shipping. With the second sebae (H.Crispa), for three weeks it did great, then it decided to go for a walk. I called LA for some advice and they extended my warranty for another two weeks. That was very nice of them, all I wanted was advice. They gave me advice plus an extended warranty.:Dsweet:D I'm not trying to bash DD, so don't ever think that, I just don't think that anemone is healthy enough.

Reefvette
11/19/2008, 09:23 AM
Does anyone on these board own a DD anemone that is currently thriving besides a BTA.

Most of the those pictures the anemones look shocked like they just got hit with alot light and contracted.

NO BASE SHOTS
Only Tentancles and barely showing off the mouth.

Im not bashing them but they def have some tricks up there sleeves when they take pictures.

Toddrtrex
11/19/2008, 10:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13776455#post13776455 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefvette
Does anyone on these board own a DD anemone that is currently thriving besides a BTA.

Most of the those pictures the anemones look shocked like they just got hit with alot light and contracted.

NO BASE SHOTS
Only Tentancles and barely showing off the mouth.

Im not bashing them but they def have some tricks up there sleeves when they take pictures.

I have a 2 year old blue Haddoni from DD that is doing great. I recently sold a purple LTA that I had gotten from them, was getting too big, and the last I knew it was still doing well.

BigJay
11/19/2008, 10:30 AM
Has anyone had success with a DD/LiveAquaria h. magnifica?

I'd really like to try a ritteri sometime.

Reefvette
11/19/2008, 10:37 AM
How far are you from their facility?

Besides you no one else has stepped up

Toddrtrex
11/19/2008, 10:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13776860#post13776860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefvette

I am in the 'burbs of Chicago, and all the DD stuff ships out of Wisco., though, from watching the tracking, it does go to Nashville first. I think one think that helps me is that I have a really good FedEx driver. He tries to make me one of his first stops, and makes sure that the package stays at the right temp ( as close as possible ). I remember last year ( winter time ) he came to my door sweating, since he had the heat cranked so my package would stay warm.

Most of the time I try for Saturday delivery ( so I don't have to miss work ) and the vast majority of the time it is in my hands before 9:30.

GSMguy
11/19/2008, 11:03 AM
i got this one from DD a couple years ago but it arrived very cold and never recovered :(

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/GSMguy/013107-286.jpg

kimsie
11/19/2008, 11:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13776860#post13776860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefvette

You know - if you're really curious it might help to start a new thread. I know many people will only look in once and if it's not a topic they care on they move on. Just a thought... you might get better responses about DD anemones.

marc price
11/19/2008, 01:25 PM
kim, i'm more interested in a update on your d.d. purple tip/white bands/green oral disc H. malu than l.a.'s d.d. track record.:confused:

kimsie
11/19/2008, 01:46 PM
OH sorry Marc... Yep that's the one I lost :( I was really sad about it.

BigJay
11/19/2008, 01:49 PM
I took a really close look at the pic, and I think you guys are right. The mouth indeed looks open, you can see the dark circles in the center instead of a closed mouth or more of the disc.

Good call.

Reefvette
11/19/2008, 02:00 PM
I am sorry to hijack but i think kimsie just added to the statistic.

kimsie
11/19/2008, 02:11 PM
LOL - heck even talking about mine was a hijack! :) I was just suggesting that you might get better results of a survey that way. It would be interesting to see how many have made it long term...

marc price
11/19/2008, 03:46 PM
ouch!!! just last week i was thinking about it. i'd call l.a. as you did say it never attached, who knows they may credit a % ???

Flighty
11/19/2008, 04:19 PM
For people looking at DD magnificas, be aware that they name the color in a pretty deceptive way. A brown based magnifica with brownish purple tentacles under actinics and lighter tips would be called a purple with green tip magnifica. They photograph them without showing the base.

hoosierpat
11/19/2008, 05:22 PM
Randy, I was just about to ask about the Red carpet and then I read further and saw your post. That sucks. That was a really nice animal. Do you have a link to that thread, I'll look for it again after I post.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/20/2008, 05:47 AM
Thanks. Here's the whole sad story.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1479003

Big E
11/23/2008, 07:13 AM
Speaking of H. Malu's, I don't think it's any different than most speciman's. You have to start with a healthy one to begin with.

My H. Malu is almost two years old now & has been very easy to care for. It even survived being sucked into a maxi-jet the first few months I had it.

The mouth on mine has always been very tiny & tight, so if that pic shows an open mouth I'd be very wary.

Premnas
11/27/2008, 01:43 PM
The malus I've had have never attached. I had one that burrowed into a deep sand bed.