PDA

View Full Version : Staghorn Corals Found With Some Resistance to Disease!

Samala
11/18/2008, 01:14 PM
Here's a little bright spot in Caribbean Acropora conservation: Natural Disease Resistance In Threatened Staghorn Corals (http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0003718)

Staghorn (A. cervicornis) corals from Bocas del Toro, Panama were surveyed for disease resistance to white band disease and genetic markers. Two of four sites studied yielded three fully resistant genotypes! Pretty amazing stuff!

Of course this is just for a small area of Panama.. and just one disease.. and there are many many many problems still in the mix for staghorn (and elkhorn) long term conservation. Still, its an intriguing example of the fact that as delicate and fragile as we consider our corals, they still have a few tricks in their genetic toolboxes to help them fight back against sources of pressure.

>Sarah

mat167
12/10/2008, 10:19 PM
Any amount of progress is progress in my books. The first step in going a mile is moving an inch. And I'm sure there's a bunch more inspirational saying but I'm tired lol. Good post on the article, hope they find more resistant genotypes :D