PDA

View Full Version : Filters and water movement

B192734
11/18/2008, 01:27 PM
Hey all. I currently have a 20g setup nicely matured with 2 fish and some zoa's. I had more but my heater glitched and cooked the tank. It's now back in pretty good shape for the last 3 months and doing nicely.

My question is this:

I have a Skilter filter/skimmer running, and I also have a Magnum cannister set up ready to run. When turned on, it makes a lot of water movement. Do you think that it's too much for a 20g, or having that much movement would be ok? I am planning on restocking soon with more coral, but don't want to have it set up to fail when they decide they don't like the water blasting against them. Thoughts or ideas?

Thanks, and have a great rest of your day!

ScarabRa
11/18/2008, 02:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13771068#post13771068 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by B192734
Hey all. I currently have a 20g setup nicely matured with 2 fish and some zoa's. I had more but my heater glitched and cooked the tank. It's now back in pretty good shape for the last 3 months and doing nicely.

My question is this:

I have a Skilter filter/skimmer running, and I also have a Magnum cannister set up ready to run. When turned on, it makes a lot of water movement. Do you think that it's too much for a 20g, or having that much movement would be ok? I am planning on restocking soon with more coral, but don't want to have it set up to fail when they decide they don't like the water blasting against them. Thoughts or ideas?

Thanks, and have a great rest of your day!

what size magnum?

U could use a spray bar to disipate some of the current blast.

More circulation is better than less, so to speak. I think it would be good. Id assume the magnum would be equal to or less than a aquaclear 802 power head.

Have it shoot across the back wall, so it pulls all of the sediment to the front, where it is easier to clean the tank when needed.