PDA

View Full Version : vineger to lower ph

alebrun
11/18/2008, 02:11 PM
Randey I have a 92 g reef tank 107 total volume including sump and fuge.? is how much vineger would i use to lower my ph.By to end of the day around 8:00 when the lights go out my ph is about 8.4. Is this too high.I dose 3-part and kalk via a dosing pump.I also dose vodka 0.7ml's a day( I think that's right).Should I be concerned if my ph even go's to a 8.45 by the end of the day.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/18/2008, 02:21 PM
pH 8.4 is perfect. I would not strive to lower it unless it got above 8.60, and even then I would not think you likely need anything added unless you are adding too much high pH additive, such as limewater.

This has more, including doses when and if you need them:

High pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.htm

alebrun
11/18/2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks Randy, I geuss I was just getting a little concerned about what I thought was high ph.I do tend to dose a little on the heavy side with kalk though.Obveiosly its not too heavy that it will make ph sky rocket.So you say I could even get a way with a ph reading of 8.6 even though its never been that high.Wouldn't corals start to get stressed out from such a high ph?

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/19/2008, 06:03 AM
I've frequently had my tank in the 8.5's without any apparent issue. IMO, the main problem from pH in that range can be accelerated precipitation of calcium carbonate on pumps, etc. I think it is less of a concern to many organisms, especially hard corals, than is low pH.