PDA

View Full Version : Octo Pro 300 vs. ATI BM250

boilermaker1
11/18/2008, 02:47 PM
I know people talk highly about both of them... but has anyone put them head to head?
I'm in need of a skimmer for a 180 w/ 75 G sump (I'd say there's 40-50 gallons in the sump, so call it 230 total volume to be safe). I dont know what a heavy fish load would be for a 180 but I've got 2 pyramid butterflies and a hippo tang, so there will be plenty of poop to work with.
I'd like to know if one is quieter than the other, more effective, and most importantly.... doesnt need to be messed with. I'm looking for a set it and forget it skimmer that doesnt need to be modded and tweaked 4 times a week to get it to run. I want to plug it in, and watch the sludge pile up.

The Octo comes with the Askoll 1500 pump and a needlewheel, the ATI comes with twin modded Sicce pumps with threadwheel impellers, which I believe is mesh.

GSMguy
11/18/2008, 03:19 PM
Octo pro 300 is better, much more set it and forget it.

the ATIs are finicky and troublesome and the mesh needs to be replaced every 6-12 months

kdblove_99
11/18/2008, 03:39 PM
Iwould definitley get the Octo Pro

JNye
11/18/2008, 03:43 PM
I'd like to know if one is quieter than the other, more effective, and most importantly.... doesnt need to be messed with
Not sure if its MORE effective, but its defenitly effective, no hassel, and silent. Also more reliable(pump) and better warranty(pump) 5 years on mine. Octo Pro 300.