PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla Glue ???

erics3000
11/18/2008, 05:13 PM
i am trying to mount some frags and had a question? Has anyone used Gorilla Glue in a reef tank? Is it ok if it touches the tissue part of the coral.

I also have the green and white rock putty for rocks. I am not sure...Bu i thought I read someone used it to mount there frags and it killed them.

Ricunger
11/18/2008, 09:58 PM
I was wondering the same for the new gorilla glue super glue with rubber... they say it is stronger than gel alone super glue.

erics3000
11/19/2008, 07:01 AM
well the regular one sucks and taks too long to harden. I am just going back to super glue`

djneedledamage
11/28/2008, 06:39 PM
I have heard that you can mount corals to glass with the gorilla glue with rubber. I know cyanoacrylate is safe but don't know what gorilla glue has in it?

LPS_Blasto
11/29/2008, 02:26 AM
Cyanoacrylate is fine. Unless you have a serious allergic reaction to CA, there's really no reason to switch to another glue.

You can buy "foam safe" CA at hobby stores. The fumes are less annoying and it's safe for the tank. Foam Safe just indicates that you can use it on certain foams and it will not melt the foam. Regular CA will turn styrofoam into mush almost instantly. Some remote control air planes have foam inside as part of the construction and there was a need for an instant glue that wouldn't melt the foam so they invented Foam Safe. It's WAY less fumey/smelly than regular CA. Just as strong.

CA is available at many hobby shops. Any hobby shop that sells remote control airplanes or cars will have it. You want the thick stuff or gel. DO NOT purchase the "accelerator" for the CA. The accelerator is used in construction of balsa wood model airplanes and it is just exactly what it sounds like. An accelerant. It makes CA glue cure almost INSTANTLY. It also gets about 250F when it cures the glue that fast. Have you ever cooked a zoa frag? Not pretty. Don't ask how I know this...... :lol:

Just buy the thick CA and use it. It takes about 2 minutes to cure in the air. It will "skin over" almost instantly in saltwater if you put it in the tank while it's still wet. It will also cure under water if you're in a hurry and don't want to wait the 2 minutes. I frag then glue then wait about a minute and then stick it in the bowl full of saltwater. That cures the glue pretty fast. About 5 minutes later I put the frag in the tank.

reeflover28
11/29/2008, 05:24 PM
I like the locktite brand of superglue gel. i thought about the glue w/rubber but was not sure what kind of rubber was used to make it

iamwrasseman
11/29/2008, 07:50 PM
if it aint broke dont fix it . are you employed by gorrilla glue ? why would you use something that is questionable over something that is proven over and over again and again and again ? get it ? what motivates someone to reinvent the weel when it works just fine ? i really dont get it , maybe you can use cyniad based glue or possiably led based paint to paint your corals with .

stash
11/29/2008, 11:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13841460#post13841460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iamwrasseman
if it aint broke dont fix it . are you employed by gorrilla glue ? why would you use something that is questionable over something that is proven over and over again and again and again ? get it ? what motivates someone to reinvent the weel when it works just fine ? i really dont get it , maybe you can use cyniad based glue or possiably led based paint to paint your corals with .

are you kidding me?

An answer like that does no one any good...

I don't post much on here, but your post was enough to make me say something...

What is wrong with posing a question regarding a different glue....

If no one tried to re-invent thing (which in reality is an oxymoron) then we would never have what are called "advances"....

Have you heard of the term 1 step forward two steps back..... yeah.. now you are getting it...

FYI, gorilla glue comes in sizes much larger than the standard loctite gel.. and is much cheaper... when looking at a per ounce base....

which,, im guessing is probably themain reason the question was asked....

please refrain from comments that do not make the community better,

I have used gorilla glue... but it foams quite a bit... had no issues regarding it touching the coral base Included echino, sps, and some palys....

jgonzz
11/30/2008, 01:21 PM
use maxi cure thick 2oz $10

they sell it anywhere they sell plastic models

erics3000
11/30/2008, 10:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13841460#post13841460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iamwrasseman

Sorry I missed this. LOOK I wanted to mount some frags so I asked a question to see if anyone had any experience with a specific type of glue that I had since i was out of super glue. I don't know why you are rattling on about reinventing the wheel > GOT IT!!

I was not asking you to get anything. So if you don't have anything productive, go to some other thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whalehead9
12/01/2008, 12:15 AM
I have a wall that I have been putting together with gorilla glue, and I am letting the rocks cook a bit before I put them in the tank. I have heard that it is reef safe, but I cannot be 100% until I have tried it. I will post back later.

coralnut99
12/04/2008, 01:28 PM
Getting to the 2nd part of the ip's question, yes the two part epoxies will burn the tissue of a lot of sps. What I've seen some do is make a base of epoxy, and used SG to attach the frag. But if you add it up, that's a bit more expensive and more of a PITA after you've kneeded a bunch of that epoxy together. My son used to do it for me when he was little. That job's right up an 8 year old's allley. Now I'd have to bribe him. Hence, I use CA exclusively now.