PDA

View Full Version : Ca rector setup Help

moonyguy
11/19/2008, 12:46 AM
Hello everyone

After reading all the articles I am setting up my Ca reactor. Basically I started off with a bubble count of 40 bubbles per second and effluent rate of 40 mil/min. My ph controller was set at 6.5. I am waiting for a week to check my Ca and Alk reading and then tweak my bubble count or flow. But I keep reading ...not often...about keeping the ph at 7-7.5 if the tank demand is not very high! I was of the opinion that the way to control the dkh of your effluent was either to increase the bubble count or decrease your effluent output while maintaining ph of 6.5 or so (depending on the media.)
Am I getting it right?

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/19/2008, 06:17 AM
Forget the pH in the reactor except as a guide if you need some help understanding what is happening inside of it. As long as you adjust the CO2 addition rate to maintain your target alkalinity in the tank, then it is fine. I think many people are making it more complicated than necessary with trying to control too many things at once.

I think you can measure the alkalinity after just a couple of days to see how it is going. ;)

moonyguy
11/19/2008, 08:19 AM
Sounds good. I guess its best to worry about one thing at a time.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/19/2008, 08:20 AM
Yes. Good luck and let us know how it works out. :)