PDA

View Full Version : Assistance please - Black Ich treatment questions

patsfan1130
11/19/2008, 06:58 AM
Cant seem to find much in the archives on this one. My YT has black spot all over her. From what I can gather this is fluke. What is considered to be the best method of treatment? I have read about FW dip, Formalin dip and both. Do you suggest the treatment of all fish in the DT? should DT be left fallow as with Cryptocaryon? sorry for all these questions. I have been lucky enough to have gone nearly 20 years without seeing this disease. So I am somewhat of a Newb in this area. Much thanks for your input.

Mark

Stuart60611
11/19/2008, 10:30 AM
Tagging along. I just got over treating regular white ich. It appears that my treatment may have been successful. I treated with hyposalinity for 6 weeks, plus one 7 day dose of quinine sulphate. I have not seen any visible signs of white ich on any of my fish for over 1 month. However, my trigger is still rubbing quite a bit. My foxface also yesterday showed some small black dots on his body. As such, my best guess is that the remaining problem I have is black ich. It will be very difficult to catch the fish in the display tank for a freshwater dip or bath. As such, I was wondering if prazipro or some other method for the display is feasible with black ich. I have in the past treated the display with prazipro will no ill effects upon my fish or biofilter. Also, I bought a 36 watt uv sterilizer to install today. I plan on running the flow failrly slowly at about 250 gph which should be optimal for killing parasites. I know that a UV will only be able to control the spread of white ich and not erradicate it from the system. However, from what I have read, both black ich and other flukes are far less resiliant. As such, could the application of UV be sufficient to eliminate black ich?

shelburn61
11/19/2008, 11:10 AM
treat with prazipro. if you have a very sever infection, FW dips can give temporary relief, but IME black turbellarians infections don't kill quickly if at all

patsfan1130
11/19/2008, 03:16 PM
I took your advice after much reading. thank you :) That stuff was not easy to find. Hopefully this will fix the problem