PDA

View Full Version : Challenging Lighting ID

gwenvet
11/19/2008, 09:32 AM
I am cross posting this here, because almost no one in the lighting forum could/would venture a guess. I will check the bulbs for any writing on the back side tomorrow morning but in the meantime...Anyone?

Can anyone tell me what kind of lights these are? I think I was told VHO but not sure.
I recently took over the school SWFO tank and these lights have been on it for 1.5 years or so and while I have gotten rid of red algae and most green hair algae, I still have brown.
If I have to replace them and they cost like $90 ea, I'm going to upgrade to something else, unless you think these are great. They REALLY heat the tank! i.e. keep it around 76 w/o a heater!
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/580/206427100_4970b.jpg

IslandCrow
11/19/2008, 09:59 AM
I'd say PCs just because a normal fluorescent has to have contacts at both ends of the bulb. I can't see for certain, but is the glass on the top two and bottom two bulbs connected on the left-hand side?

I'm not sure what your ambient room temperature is or what other heat producing items you have in your tank, but if they're producing a significant amount of heat, I'd say you've come up with a perfect excuse to upgrade. I'm afraid I really don't know specifically what you have, though. I don't suppose you have a PAR meter to measure their output?

Dave413
11/19/2008, 10:27 AM
I agree they look like PCs check out this link
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=428
You might try looking at the ballast to see if it tells what wattage they are and bulb type.

Jeremy Blaze
11/19/2008, 10:53 AM
Yes PC's.

Where in Indiana are you?

Dave413
11/19/2008, 11:33 AM
Brownsburg

WaterKeeper
11/19/2008, 12:25 PM
If the tank is FO then the lights are not a problem. I would start wondering about your water source. Are you using tap water? If so take a jog down to one of the chemistry labs and see if they have an RO/DI unit. Lab sized units can supply both your tank and the students as they are high output. Once you have a proper water source then do regular water changes, I'd say 25% a week right now tapering off to 10% when the algae abates.

We seem to have an abundance of school marine tanks cropping up this time of the year. :D

gwenvet
11/19/2008, 01:10 PM
Wow, such a lot of Indiana folk. I'm in West Lafayette...home of Purdue. Do any of you belong to a local marine group?

Dave: That link is great...they look exactly like what I have, except that 2 of mine are blue and 2 white. I will try to get some info off the bulbs and call HelloLights if you think that is a good place to buy bulbs.

Waterkeeper: So don't replace these huh?
I do use RO/DI but I have no control over it at the moment. I know the filters haven't been replaced in 3 years:eek2: and it has been used for water for 2 tanks in that time. As soon as we move it over to my house or to the school, I will test it with a TDS meter and will replace filters. Unfortunately I know NOTHING about making water. I have been doing 15% water changes almost weekly for the past 2 months and it is improving!

WaterKeeper
11/19/2008, 01:58 PM
Gwen.

No problem with fish. Lighting to marine fish tank is no more demanding than it is for FW. Old tubes give them all the light they need. It is only when you start keeping inverts that light age becomes a problem. Save the money and use it to make other upgrades.

This article, Reefkeeping 101-Water (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-10/newbie/index.php) should give you a handle on water making. One of the few things I really know about. ;)