PDA

View Full Version : Help with HAIR!!

nurjrk
11/19/2008, 07:15 PM
I've got a terrible case of hair algae. It's been getting larger and larger over the last 4 months or so. I just recently got rid of my flatworm problem so now it's time to tackle this.

Tank has been up for just over a year. It's about a 50 gal. cube with basement sump/fuge with macro, and skimmer. I also have been running Phosban and Carbon in reactors for about 2-3 months. I have use only RO water (that I buy from Clearwater) since day one. My light is a 250W MH that was new about 4 months ago. Running a CL for flow. 4 fish, only feed once a day with frozen. Clean up crew consists of Astera and Cerith snails, and various crabs. Only thing added to the tank is Oceans Blend 2 part for Ca and ALK. Ca - 380, ALK - 10.2, Mag - 1200. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all undetectible, I have not tested for Phosphate.

It's mostly on the back wall, but patches on the rocks (that I just took out and scrubed off with the flatworm problem 4 weeks ago). I siphon as much out with my water changes, but it just won't go away. I tried no lights for a few days, not feeding for a few days, added the phosban and carbon, and nothing seems to work. What am I missing???

Hair pics:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/nurjrk/037-2.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/nurjrk/035.jpg

I also have this algae growing, it begins with a "B" but can't remember it's name. I read in a recent thread that you can squirt TECH - M on it and it will slowly die, well mine didn't. Any opinions on this? I've got quite a bit of this also.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/nurjrk/038-1.jpg

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

supersurfer12
11/19/2008, 07:17 PM
the b is byropsis and its a SOB to get rid of cant get rid of mine. Suggestion from me would be to do a water change, remove as much hair as possible and get a phosphate reactor w/ phosban. Also if you want u could get a sailfin tang or a kole depending on ur tank size prob a kole cause u have a 55

nurjrk
11/19/2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the "b" name, that's what I thought it was. I do siphon out as much as possible about every 3-4 weeks with water changes. I am also running a phosban reactor. As far as the tang goes, I'm a bit on the small size for one. I don't want the tang police after me. Thanks for your comments.

Also, I am running my light only about 8 hours a day, should I cut that down, and if so, to what length would be safe without the corals suffering?

Jeff

mg426
11/19/2008, 07:42 PM
GFO would be a good thing to try. Bigtime !!!

No Worries1979
11/19/2008, 07:48 PM
I had a similar problem a few months ago and began a strict cycle of water changes. 50% to start, then reduced the % each time, changing the water weekly. I also removed every rock and scrubbed them with a brush. This helped me get the bulk of it so the cleaners could get in there and do the rest. I suggest a few turbos in addition to what you already have. Don't get too technical with it, just give it some elbow grease and some generous water changes and it will clear up. Hope this helps, good luck!

nurjrk
11/19/2008, 07:58 PM
mg426: Are you saying run GFO in place of my Phosban or in addition to it? What brand do you reccomend?

dreamwish3
11/19/2008, 08:01 PM
i have a bit of a problem with hair to.do you clean rocks in tap water or salt?cold or warm water?thank you

nurjrk
11/19/2008, 08:15 PM
When I cleaned my rock 4 weeks ago when I took care of my flatworms, I had saltwater made up for a water change that I used to clean my rock in.

jackets22
11/19/2008, 08:46 PM
My opinion is you are feeding too much.

I feed frozen only twice a week MAYBE three. Suppliment once with a little flake.

Are you rinsing your frozen first?

I would cut down to 3 times a week on the frozen and rinse it first. Cut way back for a bit on your light cycle it should help ALOT. After you do a good manual removel. JMHO

No Worries1979
11/20/2008, 10:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13780757#post13780757 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dreamwish3
i have a bit of a problem with hair to.do you clean rocks in tap water or salt?cold or warm water?thank you

I use the water that I have just removed to clean the rock in. This will minimize killing any coraline or small inverts. Don't forget to check the bottom of your bucket for any inverts that have bailed before you dump all of the water. Good luck!

No Worries1979
11/20/2008, 10:42 AM
I know it's a pain, but if you have a sump you might want to clean out any sedimentation along the bottom if you haven't already.

Haywired
11/20/2008, 01:06 PM
+1 on all of the above ,also my tank was as bad or worse due to other issues. Add at least 2 long spine urchins and the will help you mow it down.

ko0ki3z
11/20/2008, 01:21 PM
i hear more flow from the start wont give the algae a chance to grow and move the tank away from direct sun light