PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Question

brodden
11/19/2008, 09:43 PM
I have a question about my feeding regimen. Currently, I have the following livestock in my tank (54g):

Clown Fish (2)
Medium Keyhole Angel (1)
Lawnmower Blenny (1)
Scooter Blenny (1)
Blue Hippo Tang (1)
Medium/Large Coral Banded Shrimp (1)

I have been feeding them as much mysis shrimp as they can eat in 5 minutes, once a day. Sometimes I will use brine instead as a treat. Also, I usually throw in a pinch or two of marine pellets for the inverts.

They all seem to really like the food; but I don't know if that's just because they are really hungry. The lawnmower is always roaming around the glass, power heads, etc. Seems to be looking for food.

The top of my sand has developed a brown coloration on the top of it over the past couple of months and I don't know if it is realated to the food at all. Also, I just picked up my first coral frag (a zoanthid polyp) and I didn't know if I should add to my feeding for that.

Any suggestions are welcomed!! :)

Just for the record, I know I shouldn't have a blue hippo in here; but it is really small and I didn't realize how fast they grow when I got it. I will have to get rid of it when it gets too big...

hodgepodge1983
11/20/2008, 04:48 AM
Hmm, I don't know about your diatom problem (could be from excess food or a decline in the quality of the water you're putting in the tank), but I think all of those fish would benefit from some regular feedings of seaweed (Nori). :)

brodden
11/20/2008, 05:27 AM
I had been using distilled water for about a year. I just bought and installed an RODI system in the last two weeks, so maybe that will help...

I have seen a lot of conversation about the Nori. I will give that a try.

Thanks!