PDA

View Full Version : What's the best sand for reef tank?

MargieInAZ
11/19/2008, 11:13 PM
I've had my tank up and running for four months now and have recently been getting some hair algae growth. I'm setting up a phosphate reactor, and stepping up my water changes, and increasing flow to deal with that, but when I set up the tank I used very coarse crushed coral because I thought it looked good. Since then it's picked up a lot of junk in the substrate.
So I want to remove the crushed coral that I can reach around the live rock and replace it with a finer sand that won't hold as much debris.
What should I look for in sand?
I've heard Aragonite is good, but really don't even know what that is. Are there different grades that I should look for?
PetSmart sells "CaribSea Aragonite Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand". Is that a good choice?
Thanks!
-Margie

seapug
11/19/2008, 11:26 PM
aragonite is a calcium based, pounded coral sand, as opposed to silica sand which is not. Many people use silica sand without problems but it does tend to look more gray-brpown instead of white. Anything from coarse to sugar fine works well. Large grade crushed coral is the one to avoid.

MargieInAZ
11/19/2008, 11:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13781556#post13781556 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
Large grade crushed coral is the one to avoid.

That's what I have, LOL. Rookie mistake.
:)
I'm learning...

Thanks for the Aragonite explanation.

hodgepodge1983
11/20/2008, 04:40 AM
Make sure you get a good cleanup crew too! :) Stir it occasionally too; you'll be amazed at how much gunk can still build up throughout it!

Tswifty
11/20/2008, 06:45 AM
IMO medium grade aragonite sand. So the sand you listed would be fine.

Product description:

Beautiful and versatile Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand is the perfect substrate for reef aquariums. Use as a gorgeous substate or as a functional substrate for nitrate-reducing systems such as Plenum or Berlin systems. Consistent grade aragonite substrate allows for better dissolution of minerals, like calcium and carbonates. The addition of small shells makes it ideal for aquariums with mature jawfish or burrowing invertebrates. 1.0 to 2.0 mm grain.

AZDesertRat
11/20/2008, 07:12 AM
The finer the better. 5 years ago a group of reefers arranged to have a semi load of Southdown delivered to the Valley. You might see if anyone still has any left. Try posting this in the FRAG forum in the local reef clubs section. I had 500 lbs at one time, used 350 myself and sold the remaining 150 lbs to other locals.

Blown76mav
11/20/2008, 09:11 AM
I have found a sand simillar to Southdown at my local Lowe's. Its a white sugar size grain non silica sand. Seems to be working for me. and it was only 3.99 for 50lb's

IslandCrow
11/20/2008, 09:16 AM
I'd also price check with Drs. Foster & Smith online. They have very reasonable shipping for heavy items, and you can usually get a better deal there. Finding calcium based sands at the hardware store is sort of a needle in a haystack these days. As stated, silica based sand may be just fine. I used it once in my refugium, but it just didn't look or feel quite right to me.

Michael
11/20/2008, 09:16 AM
i have very fine aragonite, it looks nice