PDA

View Full Version : RO Question

n9gux
11/19/2008, 11:43 PM
I have an RO for drinking water which has a 50 gpd output but it goes to a storage tank. How can I rework this for my 65 gallon reef tank? Do I just put a T and a valve in place? Thank you!

Playa-1
11/19/2008, 11:48 PM
You could use a plastic T and a couple of plastic ball valves to divert the flow away from your drinking water storage tank to your tank or a separate holding vessel for you tank.

Flipper62
11/19/2008, 11:54 PM
You can use a tee to branch off....But you really should go to a DI unit before using it for the tank

hodgepodge1983
11/20/2008, 04:34 AM
Like Flipper said, add a DI unit otherwise you may end up with some undesirable solutes in your tank!

AZDesertRat
11/20/2008, 07:18 AM
Install a tee on the line leading to the pressure tank. Run that tee to a DI canister with a ball valve on it. get a good handheld TDS meter at the same time since one thing you will find is TDS builds up in the pressure tanks due to TDS creep and the system cycling on and off frequently to top the pressure tank off. As long as you completely empty the pressure tank every two weeks or so this is not a big issue but if you let it go very long your DI resin will be exhausted quicker due to the elevated TDS passing through it. I like the above method best but you could also plumb things with a check valve so the pressure tank will not feed the DI and only go for drinking. You get better RO water but you lose the 3.3 gallons of quick water that the pressure tank holds and must wait on the membrane to take its sweet time. I eventually went to a 14G pressure tank and could get 11 gallons of pressurized water at a time.