PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Upgrade Advice Needed

gwenvet
11/20/2008, 01:43 PM
The school has electricians there this week and has agreed to upgrade the electrical for the fish tank. What should I ask for???

The outlet is T'ed off another outlet which has 2 computers and printers plugged in which I don't want to fry! On my outlet I have 2x 4bulb Compact fluorescents with balasts, 2 powerheads, a canister filter, 2 heaters and a pump, plus I want to add a sump with lighting and a skimmer. I have no idea how much amperage this is all drawing, but assuming I can ask for anything...what would you ask for? Plus should all my outlets be in the cabinet where the sump will be or behind the tank which is not very accessible but IS away from so much water.

Thanks for all your advice!!!

Michael
11/20/2008, 01:47 PM
the electricians will know what to do, you wont need to worry there

qfrisco
11/20/2008, 01:49 PM
At the very least have them run one dedicated 20-amp circuitfrom the breaker to your tank. If they're using standard wiring, the same bundle of wiring should support a second line, so go ahead and have them wired to separate receptacles (so two new breakers at the circuit breaker, wired to outlets by the tank.) Also, go ahead and have them install GFCI outlets.

You can split your pumps across the two lines so you'll still get some circulation in the event one of the circuits trips.

kevin2000
11/20/2008, 02:03 PM
My 02

Depends on what your long term plans are.

Every tank should be connected to a GFI receptacle - mandatory to help keep you and your student from getting fried. If you don't have one now you need to have one installed (no big deal and easy to do).

I get the impression you have a std tank without much of an electrical demand ... if so you don't need a dedicated line. However if you are considering a MAJOR upgrade down the line which would significantly increase your electric demand you might ask for for a dedicated line.

Regardless of electric demand - its always nice to have one or two electrical boxes installed in the cabinet under the tank - gives you flexibility and helps keep things neater with less wires running out of the cabinet.

Good luck.

gwenvet
11/20/2008, 02:03 PM
So one new circuit with two breakers leading to two GFCI outlets behind the tank, and then two power strips (one from each outlet) leading under the tank where the sump will be?

Kevin: I was thinking 10 things plugged into one outlet was a lot, but I'm a newbie and have no idea how much a lot is! If we did eventually go to metal halide lights and a reef tank, with Ca reactors and the like, would we need a dedicated line then?

Jerm77
11/20/2008, 02:08 PM
you can add up all the wattage on all the devices you are going to run then divide by 120 this will give you your Amp requirements. or you can add up the amps used by all the devices. you can safely run 80% to a circuit.

so if its a 20amp circuit you can run up to 16amps.

the electricians should be able to determine if the sub panel or main can handle the extra load if any.

just an example:

400watts / 120(volts) = 3.33 amps. 20 amps should be able to handle most mediums sized aquariums.

qfrisco
11/20/2008, 02:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13784661#post13784661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gwenvet
So one new circuit with two breakers leading to two GFCI outlets behind the tank, and then two power strips (one from each outlet) leading under the tank where the sump will be?

Kevin: I was thinking 10 things plugged into one outlet was a lot, but I'm a newbie and have no idea how much a lot is! If we did eventually go to metal halide lights and a reef tank, with Ca reactors and the like, would we need a dedicated line then?

If you're referring to my suggestion, it would be two circuits with one breaker each, with each circuit leading to a GFCI outlet. You then go from the outlets to power strips as necessary.

For several months, I ran 2x250w metal halides, plus your standard list of pumps and powerheads on a circuit that was shared with my fridge and microwave, and the breaker didn't trip a single time. You can support quite a few things with one 20 amp circuit, but if you can get it, dedicated lines would be even better.

kevin2000
11/20/2008, 02:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13784661#post13784661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gwenvet

Many and perhaps most "reefers" don't have dedicated lines to their fish tanks - even with MH lights. However - there comes a time when demands on that line get so high that it requires it.

The number of connections isn't always a good judge of the "load" on the line (know that I am not an electrician and am using common sense/experience rather than real "know how"). Its pretty common for tanks to have multiple connections just for the power heads alone .. then you need to add heater, skimmer, lights etc. - whether thats too much for the circuit depends on the circuit and what else is on it.

When in doubt ... before the electricians come out use "google" and come up with your "shopping list" and then print out the info on the lighting, cooling etc that you may want in the future and provide that info to the electrician when he arrives.

Jerm77
11/20/2008, 03:00 PM
I was thinking 10 things plugged into one outlet was a lot

its not the amount of things plugged to worry about. its about how many amps each plug can handle. most sockets are rated for 15 amps. most power strips are rated for the same or less. just look at the sticker on the power strip.

gwenvet
11/20/2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try for a dedicated circuit with GFCI and will see where that gets me.
Do people with sumps still keep powerstrips under the tank with the sump or is that asking for trouble?

Jerm77
11/20/2008, 04:41 PM
i would keep all electricity away from the water. if it needs to be in the cabinet, make sure its secure and away from moisture with no chance of water spilling or overflowing onto the electrical.

kevin2000
11/20/2008, 04:54 PM
Water and electriciy don't mix well ... how much of a problem you may have depends on how large the cabinet is and your particular setup - add some curious school kids and its get even more complicated.

RC should have plenty of pics on-line of tank setups along with their sumps/electrical hookups - those pics may give you some idea of what people are doing.

qfrisco
11/20/2008, 04:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13785545#post13785545 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gwenvet
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try for a dedicated circuit with GFCI and will see where that gets me.
Do people with sumps still keep powerstrips under the tank with the sump or is that asking for trouble?

I have three powerstrips in the cabinet under my 90g, sharing the space with my sump and top-off reservoir. I do have them mounted up high and anything that's plugged in has a drip loop.