PDA

View Full Version : Ro/DI rec.

Corvette Reefer
11/20/2008, 02:36 PM
I was thinking about getting a RO/DI and was wondering what systems do all you peolpe use and also,

Is the Coralife Pure-Flo II RO Unit a good one are water is at 975 TDS when i tested it and would like to get it down alot would that system be right for the job, i want to get the one that is 4 stages that does 50GPD?

patsfan1130
11/20/2008, 02:57 PM
Buckeye
Melev
Spectrapure
The filter guys

all are sponsers and have great systems. I personally have the unit from Melev. I've had it for 2 months now and could not be happier. It was extremely easy to install and his customer service is second to none.

AZDesertRat
11/20/2008, 03:06 PM
At over 900 TDS the only system that will work well is the Spectrapure MaxCap. It is specifically designed for high TDS water. My TDS averages 835 and the MaxCap RO membrane alone gets that down to 5.3 to 6.2 and the MaxCap dual DI system polished that off to 0 TDS for in excess of 800 gallons of DI per cartridge. Nothing else on the planet even comes close to that.
You can read all about the differences in their Sponsors Forum here on RC but 3 very unique differences worth mentioning are the fact they use 0.5 or 0.2 micron absolute rated prefilters unlike anyone else, the individually hand test each and every RO membrane and guarantee them to be better than 98% rejection (mine has averaged over 99.3% since day one) and the research and custom hand blend every ounce of DI resin that they sell for premium efficiency. Not one other vendor does even a single one of these.

The Coralife units are very low end units, you would not be happy with it guaranteed.

Corvette Reefer
11/20/2008, 03:44 PM
Will this do it to just http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~YSP1311~idCategory~FIRORDFT~category~24_40_GPD_Units-RO_DI-Reverse_Osmosis-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

VivaBorg
11/20/2008, 03:47 PM
SPECTRAPURE FTW!!!!!

I love my spectrapure MaxCap. They also have AMAZING customer support

Corvette Reefer
11/20/2008, 03:50 PM
Or this http://www.melevsreef.com/rodi.html

Corvette Reefer
11/20/2008, 03:51 PM
At over 900 TDS the only system that will work well is the Spectrapure MaxCap. It is specifically designed for high TDS water. My TDS averages 835 and the MaxCap RO membrane alone gets that down to 5.3 to 6.2 and the MaxCap dual DI system polished that off to 0 TDS for in excess of 800 gallons of DI per cartridge. Nothing else on the planet even comes close to that.
You can read all about the differences in their Sponsors Forum here on RC but 3 very unique differences worth mentioning are the fact they use 0.5 or 0.2 micron absolute rated prefilters unlike anyone else, the individually hand test each and every RO membrane and guarantee them to be better than 98% rejection (mine has averaged over 99.3% since day one) and the research and custom hand blend every ounce of DI resin that they sell for premium efficiency. Not one other vendor does even a single one of these.
that system is a little out of my buget that system is $1000.

AZDesertRat
11/20/2008, 05:20 PM
Neither of those will do it. The system you need is the Spectrapure MaxCap not the MaxCap UHE, well you could get the UHE but as you say its out of your budget range. I started with the MaxCap myself and now have the UHE.
Take a look at places like Marine Depot or Premium Aquatics among others, they sell them at discounted prices.

Corvette Reefer
11/20/2008, 06:52 PM
Will any of those systems get it down to atleast 350

Corvette Reefer
11/20/2008, 06:54 PM
http://www.melevsreef.com/rodi.html or http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~YSP1311~idCategory~FIRORDFT~category~24_40_GPD_Units-RO_DI-Reverse_Osmosis-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html
get the water down to atleast 350

AZDesertRat
11/20/2008, 07:54 PM
Yes but why settle for any TDS at all? The goal of any RO/DI is 0 TDS for an extended period of time. Thats where less expensive, less efficient units fall down. They may get it to o for a short time but DI replacements very soon exceed the cost of a better unit. You don't want 350 or even 50 or 10, you want 0 since you have no idea what that TDS is made up of, all you know is it is electrically conductive and you don't want that.

The MaxCap at $315 will outlast any of them. I went from 150 gallons per DI cartridge to 830 gallons per DI cartridge when I switched from a Typhoon III to a MaxCap. Over a year I made 2500 gallons of RO/DI on two additional MaxCap cartridges and only replaced the SilicaBuster at that point. With my old system which was a very good RO/DI I would have been through at least 17 cartridges. It paid for the difference in the first year plus much less product waste from dumping resin in the trash.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SP-MC-RODI-90&Category_Code=maxcap

Corvette Reefer
11/20/2008, 08:07 PM
Well are water system on the house already is a Declorinater, Carbon, Iron purifier so there realy is not that much in the water.

AZDesertRat
11/20/2008, 09:20 PM
Nothing you mentioned removes TDS. That is the reason for a RO/DI unit.

Corvette Reefer
11/21/2008, 11:13 AM
Those filters remove iron, clorine, a starilises the water.

AZDesertRat
11/21/2008, 11:32 AM
The purpose of an RO or RO/DI unit is to remove TDS or total dissolved solids. Basically everything in the water larger than a hydrogen atom. The RO prefiter removes large suspended particles, the carbon block removes any traces of chlorine and most volatile organic chemicals, the membrane removes roughly 98% of everything still present and the DI removes the remaining 2% or so the membrane misses including ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, phosphates and silicates, all of which may be found in a domestic well system.
What you presently have probably uses chlorine to oxidize the iron so it precipitates out, possible a green sand filter to trap the precipitate and carbon to remove the traces of chlorine.
Two different types of treatment for two very different problems. You still need a good RO/DI even with what you presently have.