PDA

View Full Version : How do i rid my tank of Anthelia??

Fish_Freek
11/20/2008, 05:04 PM
I have an Anthelia problem and it really needs to be wiped out. This stuff is MUCH worse than xenia, at least with xenia, it is controllable and can be fragged and removed. I've heard of using kalk paste to kill it, but how exactly do you use it? Inject it or spread it on the polyps???

Thanks!

Sugar Magnolia
11/20/2008, 05:26 PM
Make a thick paste out of it and spread it over the polyps. It may take a couple of times to completely eradicate it, but space it out to every few days.

Fish_Freek
11/20/2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks, will give it a try tomorrow. Do you suggest a water change after the kalk paste is introduced like this to the tank?

Radioheadx14
11/20/2008, 10:54 PM
I have a bunch in my tank and now its starting to migrate...

Toddrtrex
11/20/2008, 10:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13786304#post13786304 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fish_Freek
Thanks, will give it a try tomorrow. Do you suggest a water change after the kalk paste is introduced like this to the tank?

Might not be a bad idea, from the Anthelia dying back, and from all the kalk paste. I wouldn't do too much at once, don't want to mess up your cal alk and pH.

amstar
11/20/2008, 11:54 PM
I have heard you can use underwater epoxy and just push it down on top of it.. and spread the epoxy over the rock. smothering the anthelia

DetectiveTofu
11/21/2008, 12:00 AM
I have used kalk paste with great success when it came to eradicating anthelia.
I divided the entire kalk paste regimen over the course of the week, as adding too much kalk into the tank can have adverse affects on pH, alk, and Ca, which in turn affects almost everything else. Every two days I did a small patch of anthelia.
Turn off your pumps. I made the paste, and put it into a plastic syringe, and then applied the paste to the stolon/mat of the colony. After applying an amount I was happy with, I let it sit for 15 minutes. I took a siphon and siphoned the anthelia off the rocks. You may need to scrap the anthelia off a little, as sometimes it is stubborn.
HTH.

DetectiveTofu
11/21/2008, 12:01 AM
dp

Fish_Freek
11/24/2008, 12:23 PM
I used the kalk paste, and so far, so good about 80% is gone. I also got rid of a few brown harry shrooms while i was at it. I think i'll try it again tonight and do a water change after the kalk works for an hour or so.
Thanks for everyons help!