PDA

View Full Version : skimmer issue or little to skim

khaosinc
11/21/2008, 05:43 AM
So my tank has been up almost 2 months.. (210 gallon, approx 75 gallons in the sump) and was set up with about 200 pounds base rock, and 100 ish pounds of live rock and some crushed coral out of an eel tank that was shut down. The first fish are still in quarantine and the clean up crew consists of a whopping 10 hermits, and a few snails (about half were killed for their shells as near as I can tell) My "real" clean up crew will be here next tuesday (first day I could find where I was sure I could be home) T5 lighting and some t8 supplemental. RO/DI water used exclusivly Though I suspect I had some issues with my old filter during filling and it has been replaced. (I'm due to replace the first 3 again.. they are on order)
So I have Various red/ brown and green algeas covering everything, though only in the tank, the sump looks almost as clean as when I built it, other than the cheato.

Ok, TMI most likely, So skimming. On and off I get 'something' out of it... but nothing like filling the cup yet and its been up and running since mid October. I've tweeked it every way I can figure and can't get more out of it. I am running it outside my sump as its hight won't allow it under the tank. Its a Berlin XL (up to 500 gal I think) and ti only cost me a case of beer, so I'll only cry a bit if I should just toss it.

The clean up crew has been in for coming up on 3 weeks I think, and I have been ghost feeding Marine flake 1 and 2 (same thing I'm feeding in my hospital tank)

Readings

Amn 0
ni3 0
ni4 (color chart it kinda reads.. but below anything on it.)
sal (w/ refactometer) 1.024
There is also filter floss on the sump intake, mostly to deal with the sand I stir up, and I have an FX5 fluval canister moving water in the sump, and am keeping it 'cycled' for a future upgrade for a better hospital tank. also have a couple smaller carbon bags in the system

OK, I'm blithering... but I like to give complete picture when asking a question

khaosinc
11/21/2008, 05:48 AM
here it is doing about nothing...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Khaosinc/DSC05273.jpg

addonnis242
11/21/2008, 03:27 PM
In my experience the Berlins are junk. I had one for about 4 months and it never worked even with a bio-load. I sold mine on Ebay and bought an Octopus NW200, modded it a little and it worked really good. But in the end it too got sold on Ebay and I bought the Reeflo 250 and it is great. IME its best to save up and get the best skimmer you can afford, because it will most likely be the heart of your filtration, again IME. Good luck

noboddi
11/21/2008, 03:47 PM
Some skimmers are tough to get dialed in. That's why I like Euro Reef. They are easy top get the sweet spot

crvz
11/21/2008, 06:39 PM
Indeed, on the volume of water that skimmer is being used it should struggle to keep up. I'd consider getting something with a bit more punch, and I do like the octopus line.