PDA

View Full Version : Acro bleaching, but only on one side, help?

Pheeshes
11/21/2008, 06:26 AM
So, i've had an acro, i'm not even sure what kind it is for about 3 months now. it was very small when i got it and it has more than doubled in size and colored up very nicely. i just noticed last night while adding water to my ATO that the back sid of it is bleached out white. it's not the whole acro, just the back sides of the back couple of points. it fell off of its perch about 2 weeks ago and i accidently fragged two small pieces which have started to grow not only up but also out and are covering over the frag disc around their bases.

all of my parameters are steady except for magnesium. i'm gradually raising that to combat some algea, but i just started upping that this week and i'm not sure how fast it would bleach out.

it does have a koralia 3 blowing at it from about 8-10 inches. the acro was getting about 1/4 of the full force of the power head, so i moved it when i saw the bleaching and it's noly getting 1/8th or so of the flow from it.

what could cause this and what can i do to fix it? this is my first acro and until now it has be doing great. thanks for any help or suggestions ahead of time.

Pheeshes
11/21/2008, 06:29 AM
Mag is now 1380
calcium is 460
ph is 7.9
nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are 0

ErikAnderson
11/21/2008, 06:31 AM
wow how are you keeping your CA so high? i have been working on raising mine

Pheeshes
11/21/2008, 06:50 AM
well, i don't have alot of corals, so they don't use it up alot, but i use oceanic salt and right after a water change it is between 460 and 480 then i dose 1 cap full of kent calcium(the yellow bottle) every 3rd day

Pheeshes
11/23/2008, 06:40 PM
well, i also noticed that my frogspawn and the tips on my palys are loosing color. they are mostly just turning pale could high magnesium do that or is there something else we need to be looking for?

smorrow5773
11/24/2008, 04:58 AM
I posted a while back about high magnesium and losing sps, but didnt get any responses. I used tech-m and once I got to the level that killed off the briopsis, about half of my sps started to stn and a couple rtn overnight. All other parameters remained stable and had no problems prior to the tech-m being used. I had to get up close to 2000ppm before the algae went away, so that may have something to do with it. Once I brought the levels down to around 1400, my pieces started looking good again and are now recovering .

abulgin
11/24/2008, 07:27 AM
Your magnesium is a little high. I don't know how you get that down, other than changing salt brands. I use Reef Crystals, which is low on magnesium, but I easily supplement using Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion-P. Truthfully, all the commercial salt brands are pretty equal. Some have higher this, and some have lower this, but at the end of the day my personal belief is that you should use the least expensive name brand salt out there. IMO, I just can't justify paying $65 for 200 g of Tropic Marin when I can get 160g of Reef Crystals for $35. One large tub of Magnesion-P ($17) has lasted me well over 6 months.

All that said, I don't think magnesium is causing your Acro to bleach. In fact, I don't think it's really "bleaching". It's pretty normal for the side that doesn't get a lot of light to die or show less growth. It happens to many of my SPS. DON'T MOVE SPS unless there is a reason to do so--they don't like to be moved once they've settled in--more times than not, you do more harm than good. If the SPS was bleaching from the base up, all the way around, then you should worry.

What's your alkalinity? You didn't post that, and it's an important parameter.

abulgin
11/24/2008, 07:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13788969#post13788969 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pheeshes
well, i don't have alot of corals, so they don't use it up alot, but i use oceanic salt and right after a water change it is between 460 and 480 then i dose 1 cap full of kent calcium(the yellow bottle) every 3rd day

Are you testing for Calcium before you dose? You should be. I wouldn't add calcium (much less Kent :D ) unless my test says I need to.

Pheeshes
11/24/2008, 08:33 AM
Yeah, i don't does for anything i don't test. i've stopped adding magnesium. i was purposley raising it to get rid of some algea, but if it means corals discoloring i'll fight the algea battle a different way. if i stop dosing it'll creep back down to about 1200 on its own.

well, it gets pretty even light all the way around it. and the part that is bleaching and peeling , until it started to bleach and peel, was growing just as fast as the rest of it.

we stopped on the magnesium on friday, so hopefully things will color back up or atleast stop bleaching.

abulgin
11/24/2008, 08:46 AM
Can you post a picture?

Pheeshes
11/24/2008, 09:59 AM
yeah, i'll try to get one tonight when i get home

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/24/2008, 11:03 AM
acro bleaching, but only on one side

Did you see that result yourself, or did this guy try to claim it as he ran off with your acro?

http://justgrits.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/grinch_santa.jpg