PDA

View Full Version : Fish Illness Contagiousness Inquiry

85galsalty
11/21/2008, 11:33 AM
I am wondering about the contagiousness of bacterial infections and fungus in the water once an infected fish has been removed. How long and what needs to be done before another can be placed in an established tank.

Here is my current situation...

85 gal main display - (1) Foxface with mysterious illness, reddening at the joints of both pectoral fins and constantly paces (2) Bangaii Cardinals with fuzzy white on bottom lips. Male is on 3rd day with a mouthful of eggs. Female has "off" coloring and slightly faded stripes at times. (2) peppermint shrimp, (1) Serpent Star, (2) Urchins, various soft corals and hermit crabs.

5 gal - (2) 3 month old baby bagaii cardinals

20 gal QT - a rescued clown, currently being treated with hyposalinity for suspicion of ick.

15 gal QT - (6) chromis and 3 snails. Purchased Oct 30. All appear healthy so far.

The main display is on the 5th day of Melafix/Pemafix treatment. No signs of improvement for Foxface and he has not eaten his food these last 3 days. However, yesterday I caught him nibbling algae from a rock. The cardinals still have lip issue. I plan to finish up the 7 day treatment but if there is no improvement I will have to move them to QT and try meds. My problem is that I have no additional tanks or equipment for any more QTs. I would greatly appreciate some opinions on moving everyone around to free up the QTs for foxface and cardinals without compromising the health of any of the others.
Thanks!

85galsalty
11/21/2008, 05:56 PM
Well, maybe I spoke too soon. I came home today to find Foxface swimming around very leisurely and he was a nice bright yellow that I haven't seen in a few weeks. He was nipping at algae and he dined on some nori I gave him. Cardinals still have "pouty" lip but they are looking better otherwise. I would still like to know if anyone can offer some advice about contagiousness. I'm concerned about the threat the new baby cardinals will have on the three month olds when they are transferred.

kevin2000
11/21/2008, 06:07 PM
Pictures of the fish would help.

Red spots are often a sign of bacterial problem .. usually they clear up on their own depending on the fish's immune system. Sometimes they require QT combined with an antibiotic. Not sure what "fuzzy white" really means ... but they generall break down to bacterial, fungal or parasite. Fungal issues in SW are pretty rare - need a pic to figure out anything else.

In general SW diseases are highly contagious often requiring QT and treatment and leaving the tank fishless for 6-8 weeks. However you may be experiencing nothing other than some minor bacterial issues.

At a minimum ... focus on water quality .. lowering stress .. provide nutritional food and avoiding overcrowding in your tank.

85galsalty
11/21/2008, 09:22 PM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n20/larajs1/DSC02079_edited-1.jpg

Red fins and joint on foxface. Will try to get cardinal pics tomorrow.
Thanks for taking the time to offer advice.

85galsalty
11/22/2008, 08:53 PM
Is there a different forum I should move this to?

tmz
11/22/2008, 11:25 PM
Perhaps the fish disease and treatment forum . I don't know what that is?

tmz
11/22/2008, 11:38 PM
I don't know wether baterial or fungal infections are transmitted via the water. It has been my understanding that they live and multiply on the skin of the fish and do not have a free swimming phase in their life cycle .

Here is a link with some information various diseases and their treatment which may be of help.

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/disease.html

85galsalty
11/23/2008, 10:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13800041#post13800041 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
I don't know wether baterial or fungal infections are transmitted via the water. It has been my understanding that they live and multiply on the skin of the fish and do not have a free swimming phase in their life cycle .

Here is a link with some information various diseases and their treatment which may be of help.

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/disease.html

Thanks for the link Tom. I will take some time today to go through the information.